Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow-jacket killer  (Read 23283 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
Yellow-jacket killer
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:48:02 pm »
I have had the worst time with yellow jackets.  I can not even open a hive without them attacking the frames and getting my normally nice bees upset!  So after reading some home remedies, I made a trap but found some of the jackets found their way back out the hole.  I made a funnel out of screen and inverted another bottle on top.  They want to go up so you see what happens.  Two 5/8 holes in the bottom bottle, put in some syrup, apple juice, and water.  That's it.  See what you think. 

Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Yellow-jacket killer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:01:37 pm »
looks like you did pretty good, now if you had a few more you might get to work your bee's without getting upset, and your bee's might get some rest, nice job
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:43:17 pm »
great idea, i have been thinking about making one of these, because i just scoashed 2 bees on the outside of my hives. And when i pull frames out the yellow jackets land on them and try to take some honey.

Do you know if this would work for getting wasp to and have you seen an improvement in less yello jackets since you put it out, i guess im asking have you seen an improvement? And how much apple juice wate and sugar did you use?

Thanks Jordan

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:58:39 am »
What a great idea!  Disposable too so you can "torch" em when full :evil:!! Gonna have to make some to see how many can be caught! They get really obnoxious in the fall here.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:49 pm »
I did not measure the amounts.  Probably a cup of juice, half cup syrup, cup or two of water.  They can smell anything.  I have seen a reduction.  Have not caught wasps but have not had a problem.  Paper wasps general feed on caterpillars.  It does catch hornets.  They even got in the 5/8 inch hole so they wanted it bad.  I had that bottle out about 3 hours when I took the pictures--that's how fast they went to it.  The more water, the less tension on the top and they sink better and drown.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:13:45 pm »
Thanks i will be sure to  make some soon.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:29:53 am »
SkyMall has a reusable glass (I think) yellowjacket trap that's supposed to only trap yellowjackets as well...

But yours seems to do the job well enough (or better) for darn near free.

I'm a little confused on where they enter though?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 01:36:04 pm »
Since you have so many coming in have you thought about using colored chalk or flower to bee line those suckers back to their nest?

You may just find the motherload.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 02:30:19 pm »
1.  I cut two 1/2 inch holes on the side just before it curves up to the top.

2.  I'll be happy to let you come over and bee-line YELLOW JACKETS!!!!!   I watched a few fly away from a honeycomb but they were too fast.  How does the chalk work?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 03:36:26 pm »
2.  I'll be happy to let you come over and bee-line YELLOW JACKETS!!!!!   I watched a few fly away from a honeycomb but they were too fast.  How does the chalk work?

Throw it on them, and they'll leave a dust trail for at least a few feet that's a straight line toward their nest... assuming it's not windy that is...

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 04:49:15 pm »
Well, that sounds almost as exciting as Goat-roping for Sat night...Gonna have to do it!! J

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:10:24 pm »
A local organic gardening radio show recommends dumping several bags of ice on the entrance at dusk, once all the 'jackets have gone inside. The cold will prevent their attacking you.

"Then cover the hole and the area around it with a heavy tarp weighted down with bricks, a piece of sheet metal, a big wooden board or other heavy object. Then cover that with soil or wood chips. Or cover the hole with a thick piece of clear plastic, seal the edges tight to the ground, and the nest will cook in the sun once the ice melts. Be sure and pick a cool night when these dangerous wasps will be unable to respond quickly—and ‘bee(Grrrr...! my comment) careful’!"

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=469

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:38 pm »
I'm very organic, but.........I still like gas and fire!!!  fire, fire, fire!!!!! :evil:  Do I have a second??
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »
I 2nd that one  :evil:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:39 am »
FIRE FIRE!!  2nd the 2nd!!!! :-D :evil:

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 03:06:25 am »
A local organic gardening radio show recommends dumping several bags of ice on the entrance at dusk, once all the 'jackets have gone inside. The cold will prevent their attacking you.

"Then cover the hole and the area around it with a heavy tarp weighted down with bricks, a piece of sheet metal, a big wooden board or other heavy object. Then cover that with soil or wood chips. Or cover the hole with a thick piece of clear plastic, seal the edges tight to the ground, and the nest will cook in the sun once the ice melts. Be sure and pick a cool night when these dangerous wasps will be unable to respond quickly—and ‘bee(Grrrr...! my comment) careful’!"

That sounds like WAY too much work, so I'm going to have to 3rd the second 2nd... FIRE IN THE HOLE!!   :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:57:10 am »
Once the nest is found in the ground try putting a thick piece of clear plastic at night over the entire area, then the entrance can be fogged with an aeresol with injector (straw) tip.

Or, just cover the thing at night with a bunch of dirt, they don't fly at night as long as its dark around the area.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 11:14:53 am »
I like the fire too  :evil:
Johnny

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:50 am »
I like the fire too  :evil:
Johnny

Ok, or you could use a flame thrower or just put a stick of dynamite in the entrance hole, take a video for you tube.

Try not to blow yourself up or catch on fire, will shorten your beekeeping career, considerably!

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 06:40:57 pm »
Once the nest is found in the ground try putting a thick piece of clear plastic at night over the entire area, then the entrance can be fogged with an aeresol with injector (straw) tip.
..JP

You forgot to put in the part where we light the fogger spray.. :evil: :roll: WD40 works great!! That way you don't need to waste the plastic...less landfill waste! 4th my 2nd...FIRE!  If you are really careful it can be done... :-D :-D  Jody

anything