Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Country Side Magazine  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Country Side Magazine
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:59:19 am »
Anyone read Country Side magazine?  Last issue they started a new monthly article on beekeeping.  Pretty cool stuff.  Havent picked up the latest issue but saw that they cover installing package bees.  Great stuff for the modern homesteader (I'm a wanna-be).  Highly recommend this mag to anyone looking to live the simple old home farming life.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Country Side Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:44:47 am »
Yep, I am a subscriber.  Some issues are better than most, but there's something useful in all of them.

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:15:25 am »
Countryside and Backwoods Home are the only 2 magazines I care to look at. :-D :-D
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:24:31 pm »
I like Mother Earth News, too.  It's gotten better again (it really went into the dumpster back in the early 90's).

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:29:20 pm »
I just subscribed to Country Side yesterday.  I feel guilty though, I should have subscribed to Bee Culture first.  At least Countryside will be doing their Beekeeping column for the next year.  Can't wait to get it though, really cool mag.  The Feb-Mar issue had the beekeeper on the cover which caught my attention and is why I bought it from the grocery store.  Never knew it existed before that and probably never would of otherwise.  Every thing in this mag is way cool.  My wife (former city girl) fell in love with it too and can't wait to start raising chickens.  My mom is going to help her get started and are shopping for pulletts right now.

Anyone see that "Wood Stove Powered" hot tub?  I gota have one!!!!  Already ordered the dome green house hardware too!  Cant wait to get that set up.

Never heard of Backwoods Home and Mother Earth News.  I'll have to check those out.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:41:50 pm »
I also subscribe to Countryside. Another good one I get is Hobby Farms. Good stuff.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 04:30:53 pm »
Count us in the list of subscribers. It's the only magazine I know of where you get an article about how to build a new house out of found materials right next to one about garden fairies.

kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 05:34:14 pm »
I'm a subscriber to Countryside as well.  And thanks to Mr T-bone,  I have just let my subscription to Mother Earth expire and started a subscription to Backwoods Home.  Much better suited to my political ideology.  Get tired of all the hollywierd leftist preaching global warming in M.E. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:20:43 pm »
Holy-moley!  Where has this magazine (Backwoods Home) been all my life?  I'm switching over to that once my MEN subscription expires!

Thanx, Robo!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 09:34:37 pm »
Don't thank me, thank Mr T-Bone.   I was unaware of it as well until he posted it and I went out and bought a couple copies....Now the big decision is whether to become a lifetime subscriber :?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:21:40 am »
Ok guys, you gotta stop!  I subscribe to Country Side and start this thread.  Then you tell me about Mother Earth News and I get a copy, how awesome! Now Backwoods Home?!?!?!  Between all those and American Bee Journal, Bee Culture, Steam Traction, QST, Discover Magazine, and Guns & Ammo, I never have any time for anything else!!! lol

Sean Kelly

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 04:31:53 pm »
I have just let my subscription to Mother Earth expire and started a subscription to Backwoods Home.  Get tired of all the hollywierd leftist preaching global warming in M.E. 

I don't mind the global warming articles. I think we need to be thinking about that... but it drives me crazy to see some unbelieveably wealthy person (Julia Louis-Dreyfuss) go "green" with a second gazillion $ home in Rancho Somewhereo. Then, they talk to a magazine reporter about their decision to help save the plant without any sense of irony whatsoever.

Hello!!! Want to save the planet? Put that $3.5 million into helping Heifer International and quit flying all over kingdom come to visit house #2, 3 or 4..

phew, feel better now
kev

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.