Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broken comb  (Read 3885 times)

Offline eri

• House Bee
Broken comb
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:18:22 am »
New KTBH, first inspection of package. Lovely comb! Fragile! 85 degrees in full sun, one of the largest combs -- with brood -- broke off at the top next to the bar. No problem, I thought, I'll just tie it back on. No way! In a matter of moments it was mush, each time I touched it it crushed more. Brushed all the bees off, checked carefully that the queen was not there, put the bar back in place -- it still had a row of cells along the wedge. After I took it in the house and examined it with a magnifying glass I put it on the floor at the back of the hive.

I know I've set them back with this comb break and I'm thinking I should leave everything alone until the comb cures more, except to open it up and gently sever comb attached to the side. I'm now thinking I should wait for centermost brood comb to stiffen (how long?) and instead of lifting each bar out from back to front (I have a stand that holds 3 bars) maybe just slide the bars apart and pull 1 or 2 of the centermost combs for a quick inspection?

Any experiences/suggestions along these lines?

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Broken comb
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:32:31 pm »
It's good to have some swarm catching frames built and handy.  Then you can just lay it in the frame, close it and put it back in.  New wax is very fragile.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ktbearpaws

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »
I had the same problem my friend.... Comb was so full of honey it just fell of the bar.
I wasn't sure on what to do so I just left it on the bottom of the hive....
I could kick myself when i did it....

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:47:50 pm »
How long does it take new comb to "cure?" I did an inspection yesterday -- very brief because I could see/feel the comb was still extremely fragile.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:51:34 pm »
Several months, at least.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:38:38 am »
If the combs are white or yellow they are green and will bend easily.  Cured combs are more of a medium brown color which takes about 2-3 months.  When dealing with green combs always hold the comb straigh up and down and level.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!