Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Those dang yellowjackets  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Those dang yellowjackets
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:55:51 am »
So, as we are all fully aware of, yellowjackets are a nuisance.  I have had horrible yellowjacket issues with the bees in prior years, the issues had begun again this summer.

My daughter and her boys live on our property in an enlarged mobile home.  The new roof on it is metal sheets that has kind of tunnels under it, best I can describe it, I think it is called corrugated or something.  This is where the yellowjackets had obviously built many, many nests.  She had been complaining all summer about hearing them in her roof when she was sitting in the living room.   Oh brother.  I kept telling her to do something about it, but we all know how kids are, it is so much easier just to let the parents take care of stuff, grr.....but  :) :roll:

Against my nature 100%, I finally bought some yellowjacket pesticide that foams up when it is applied.  I sprayed very very carefully into each of the tunnel like places in her roof.  Many yellowjackets came out immediately and died, the remainder must have died when they tried to exit the entrances.  I was so careful, not to spill or have any residue go anywhere else. 

I believe that is probably about where 90% of the nests that had plagued my bees were.  BECAUSE, in the wasp traps by the apiary, which before the pesticide application were always full of yellowjackets, barely ever more had any, mayone one, now and then.  It is the dang bald faced hornets that are now being caught in the wasp traps.  I believe that I have reduced the population (for this year anyways) of the yellowjacket.  Good.

I have issues with the yellowjackets, big time and have not a single issue with irradicating them.  We have so many children around here that drink pop out of cans, set the cans down and then drink more.  I know how wasps and this type of bug love to go into these pop (beer) cans too.  I had at the same time saved the possibility of a child drinking down a nasty bug that certainly causes alot of pain and could be very dangerous when it enters a throat.

Bugs that the yellowjackets eat, I will deal with by hand picking, so I am not worried about the lack of yellowjackets to eat bad bugs.

Some thoughts out loud about my death wishes for the yellowjacket.  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Those dang yellowjackets
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28:27 pm »
KILL KILL KILL DEATH DESTROY!!!!!!!!!!  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life.  Cindi

hahaha - i just had to put that little juxtaposition (joke!) there.  Congrats on finding their homes!  I'll have to keep trying do that as well (wish it were as easy as you found). 

Death to yellowjackets.  Peace and groovyness to all others,
Dane  ;)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 05:17:01 pm »
Kill, Kill, Death destroy...Sounds like lyrics from a GWAR song.

Cindi, if you're going to play with the yellow jackets, I would suggest fogging the nesting area at night or early morning with an approved yellow jacket product. Pyrethrins are good for this. The problem with foam sprays is that they don't kill immediately, and you may get stung if you're not wearing protective gear. After you kill them try and seal and caulk openings for future prevention.

I have a swarm of bees living in a crushed Arizona iced tea can under my carport right now. Can't be more than 20 bees in there but they won't leave it. Go figure.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:35:04 am »
JP, now that is darn right weird.  C.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:29:37 am »
Tell me about it. :roll:
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:25:16 am »
Yellow Jackets arearte much easier to get rid of here because they are ground dwellers most of the time. You find the occasional nest in a cavity or hanging in a tree.
I have no problem getting rid of them and the grubs make great bream (pan-fish bait) :lol:.
John 3:16

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 02:34:21 am »
sc-bee.  Nope, my Yellowjackets like to nest in roof cavities.  And to boot, I found nests underneath the landing boards for the beehives -- and also, inside the wooden housing for the electrical fence hardware.  Nothing underground that I have ever seen.  Have a great day.  Cindi

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 05:32:57 am »
That's right Cindi. Different type of yellow jacket in my area. I had never seen a yellow jacket nest above ground until my adult years. Bee culture did a two part article in the last year or so on yellow jackets. I did not realize there were so many different types of yellow jackets.
I think they all have one thing in common though NASTY :evil:! Put you on the run in a hurry when you disturb them.
John 3:16