Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are these bees doing?  (Read 15384 times)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: What are these bees doing?
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »
Pete,
Black honey?  Was it black when you took it out?  From the picture it just looks like ordinary honey in dark brood comb.  If it was truly dark, then yes, different flowers, buckwheat in the States is the darkest, all depends on your flora.

Did you use foundationless frames?  The bees will draw out a bit of drone comb, the ugly bumpy stuff, on most of the combs.  There may have been some queen cups on some of the pictures, but I didn't see anything that looked like they were actually in process of making a queen.  I find that they often keep a few cups scattered around just in case, or don't fully destroy old ones.

Looks healthy to me, assuming that there was more worker comb in there elsewhere.

Rick
Rick

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »
Sorry haven't replied for a while.

Yes there is ventilation, not sure if its enough. there is 4 x 1 inch holes in the lid.

Since i removed the 8 frames of honey they havent 'bearded' like that since.

I didnt make the frames that were in there, but i think they had foundation. the honey wasnt dark when it came out, just a few bit of comb were darker, once i got it in the shed and checked it out it was all pretty normal looking, i think :)

Its just turned Autumn here and the weather has changed from hot/dry to wet/warm. Big trees are about to flower and bee activity seams just as intense as it had been all summer.

I will open it and have a look how they are going with the new frames. 5 or 6 still had drawn comb and 2 or 3 had new foundation.

Offline Col Collyer

• New Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 07:20:36 pm »
Interesting morning
 I get up at 6 and have breakfast on the decking. I had 10  / 20 ladies join me, heading for the lights on inside.
 It was a hot night, and when it was light enough, I checked the hive, and sure enough, a cluster hanging around the entrance, and others , almost running, in a line to the top
 Haven't seen that before
 Col

anything