Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how long do you keep cutout comb tied in the frames?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
how long do you keep cutout comb tied in the frames?
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:31:38 pm »
How long do you keep your cutout comb tied/rubberbanded in the frames?  Also, how long do you keep the comb in period? Do you eventually remove it and replace it with new foundation, or something? 

I have three hives that are made up from cutouts.  I am wondering if I should let the rubberbands stay on until the bees eat through them, or if I need to keep an eye on it, and remove the bands when the comb is pretty secure in the frames.  Two of the hives appear to be queen right.  The other does not appear to be.  Obviously, I need to give it some attention, and combine it, or try to let them raise their queen.  It just makes me nervous, moving anything around with the comb just resting in there. 

Anyway, thoughts/advice is appreciated.

-Joker
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: how long do you keep cutout comb tied in the frames?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »
On most cut outs the old comb will be attached to the frame in a week or so, just depends on how fast they are drawing comb out. they will remove the rubber bands in a couple of weeks and then again maybe not. For the most part if the comb was put in the frame in a big chunk and they have it attached and all looks well just leave it. I find that the smaller pieces seem to make a bigger mess and have wild or burr comb coming off of it. Keep moving it to the outside edges and out of the brood nest till you can finaly remove it from the hive.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »
I try to work it out by the end of the season, if practical.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »
>How long do you keep your cutout comb tied/rubberbanded in the frames? 

Until the wax moths eat it.

>Also, how long do you keep the comb in period?

Until the wax moths eat it.

> Do you eventually remove it and replace it with new foundation, or something?

Not I.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:08 pm »
I leave it in indefinitely. The bees chew out the rubber bands when they're ready, and I'll clean them off the bottom board, but I don't pull them from frames, ever.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC