Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4H Beekeeping  (Read 1248 times)

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
4H Beekeeping
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:06:14 am »
I have been tapped to be project leader for the local 4H group.  The information available from 4H I personally feel is lacking.  

Recommended reading is from The New Starting Right With Bees 21st edition..  written in 1997.  While I have read through the book it is old enough to be lacking in some serious information.   IE small hive beetle.

Does anyone know of somewhere I can locate ideal project information for a 10-12 year old age group that does not follow the Purdue Extension questions/project book refering to an obsolete text?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:16:28 pm by charmd2 »
Charla Hinkle

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: 4H Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »
Look in some of the bee keeping catalogs for info.  I'm going to do a class for my first graders here in school and am getting a lot of my stuff from Brushy Mountain. You can also Google beekeeping lesson plans for teachers and get some good websites with information geared towards particular age groups.

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:14 pm »
I believe there is a canadian 4h site that has a great program guidelines/info i think they are out of ontario but im not sure.
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:25:16 am »
basic bee biology hasn't much changed in a very long time and I don't know why some 4-H aged person should dwell on every minor disease or pest.  there are books that cover those things alone and they might make for great references.

it seems to me when it comes to pest or disease a good mentor would be much more valuable than a text in at least identifying the problem.

how much effort does it take to add one page to an existing brochure that tell about the shb?   
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

anything