Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee suits  (Read 3924 times)

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
Bee suits
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:49:13 am »
Ok, being  new to beekeeping and buying stuff now for next year I plan to buy a bee suit...which ones are the best as far as protection and still being cool in the summer..I know most of you don't weat bee suits and I probably wouldn't until I pulled honey off the hive.

Thanks
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Bee suits
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:54:25 am »
I just where a veil but bought my wife this pullover suit, I have worn it and its no to bad and only cost $33.00.

http://www.betterbee.com/images/hobbypullover.jpg
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Bee suits
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 02:09:59 am »
Bee suits is a big topic around here, and asked about often. Go ahead and do a search here on the forum about it, and you'll find lots of opinions on them. :)

Beth

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee suits
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:19:43 am »
The absolute best for protection from stings and cool is Golden Bee Products.  They advertise in Bee Culture and ABJ.  It is three layers of mesh and the bees cannot sting through it at all and the breeze blows right through.  On a hot day I put it on with only a pair of shorts and boots under it.  It's expensive and worth every penny.

If you just want cool and don't mind a few stings, the "Bug Baffler" works pretty well.  www.bugbaffler.com I have the jacket and pants which I, again, wear with just shorts and boots.  But I also have the seperate standalone veil which fits easily in my pocket for those quick inspections.  The bees can sting through the Baffler where it sticks to the sweat on your skin, but if your hives are calm it is just as cool as the Golden Bee Products but lighter and cheaper.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Bee suit
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 02:49:43 pm »
This is my first year of beekeeping also, but one thing I have learned - use a one piece suit.  I have a suit and separate veil.  The bees have gotten under my veil a couple of times.  I sure wished at the time that I had a one piece suit. :cry:
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee suits
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:36:22 pm »
There is no point in a beesuit without a zip on veil.  You may as well just buy the veil.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
Bee suits
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 01:25:46 am »
Thanks for all your input , believe me it helps!
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
Bee suits
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 01:20:10 am »
this has nothing to do with the original post, but I was stung through some new gloves this week!  I guess just learn to deal with a few stings.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Bee suits
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 11:13:24 am »
What kind of gloves were they?  The cotton jobs?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
Bee suits
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 12:52:26 pm »
no, the fancy goatskin jobs....just using my common sense, I can see that in the leather tanning process some areas may come out thinner than others, but these gloves felt pretty darn thick, and this was on the finger tip...stung right through the Leather!