Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The scariest egg I have ever seen  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The scariest egg I have ever seen
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:16:47 am »
OK, so I have some young chickens that are coming into the age of laying eggs.  And let me tell you, some of the weirdest eggs have been laid.  I have no clue what goes on here, but they are surely of of this world.  Have a beautiful, most wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: The scariest egg I have ever seen
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:21:24 pm »
Hee Hee Cindi! Are'nt animals amazing??  Never a dull moment, always something new going on.  I have gotten eggs like that. Also very long skinny ones.  My favorites are the no shell ones, the kids really get grossed out & I like playing with em! My chicks are growing like weeds, had to put wire on the brood box as they discovered they can fly..well the brown leghorns did anyways.  I am keeping em in my office &chix-poo on my inventory isn't a good thing!  Was going to put em out this weekend but the weather says cold so I'll have Chels help me carry the 350gl water dealie to the barn & set it all up for when it gets a bit warmer.  Have a great day, I love reading about your feathered family! Having raised birds myself I know how each breed has a "general" personality and each individual within the breeds have theirs!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:13 pm »
Let us know how it tastes :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:09 pm »
Yup. That's a funky one. Never got one like that but I have gotten no shells, tiny teenie tiny ones, humongous ones,slender ones etc.

My chicks are growing like weeds too. Jump/flying out of the brooders. I also had to put wire over the top. Also a bunch of wood to keep it weighed down. The turkeys were the worst. They jump like crazy.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:13:18 am »
What the heck does a no shell egg look like and how can you play with it without it falling apart??

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 01:53:13 am »
An egg with no shell is wrapped with a thin, rubbery membrane. Next time you crack open an egg, rinse it out and sort of rub/peel the inside of the shell. You will see the membrane that holds the egg yolk and whites together. I love playing with these no shell eggs too! But so far I only got 2 from 10 chickens in 2 years. :-\ Dang it! Hehe.
Wow thats a really stange egg! I remember seeing somewhere on the internet, a egg that had a smilie face on it. It wasn't a marker, it was the coloring of the egg! That was a pretty neat egg! Will have to find that site...
Beesilly

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:17:12 am »
Its ok it is just a fluk and the girls are getting there systems working and going. When they first start they are out of order and if they take longer in one area over another they will be messed up and what not. Totally normal.

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:17:45 am »
That egg kinda reminds me of a baseball.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 11:27:20 am »
What the heck does a no shell egg look like and how can you play with it without it falling apart??

Annette, you would get a hoot and a hollar if you found one of these eggs.  The look identical to an egg, except when you pick it up, well, that is another story.  Picture how a balloon feels like if you fill it up with water, identical.  The membrane is actually fairly tough, it doesn't break when you touch it, just like the balloon.  Now throw it at someone, hee, hee, (my evil side pokin' through), that is another story too, hee, hee.  I know.

When we found one like that last week, my Sister, (she has that evil side too,  :evil: :evil: ;) :) :)) brought it into the house and showed it to her Husband's Son that came up from Chile to visit them last spring.  He stayed on a visa for about a year (he went home last week).  This was a Son that he had before he met my Sister, that young love stuff.  It was cool, he met his Father for the first time last spring and he loved his half Brothers and Sisters to pieces.  It was a wonderful thing.  Ooops, got sidetracked.

Anyways, this young man is new to the farm and country life, he is a city boy.  When we brought the egg in to show him he got scared and said "no, you are going to scare me".  I wonder why he said that?  Could it be that my Sister is a teaser and has teased him alot with the farm life?  Hee, hee.  She told him no, she was not going to scare him.  He didn't trust her, (wonder why). She insisted that he pick up the egg off her palm, so he did, mustering up every little bit of strength and courage he could.  Oooh, he got freaked out!!!  That is one weird feeling when you pick up that membrane egg.  After a moment he recomposed himself and was very interested in it.  His biggest question was, can you eat it?  Well, that answer would be yes, but then it broke in his hand.  Oh no!!!!  That poor kid, egg is rather runny when it is not cooked.  I can say no more.

Oh we have such fun here with the strange things that come out of all the stuff with the farm life.  The kids have been subject to all kinds of torture (oops, did I say that?, hee, hee).  Why is it so much fun to freak people out?  I don't know why, but we are masters of this trade, smiling and yep, yep, have the most wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:57:03 pm »
I've seen some weird ones.  One of the weirdest was one without a shell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 03:41:46 pm »
Cindi our families must be related in some way!  It's not a good day for me unless I've "pesked" someone or something!  When my Brother, Sister, Daughter & I get together it's such great fun.  We are never bored, always something to wonder at or ponder or talk about or play with!  We are slowly warping my Stepdaughter, teasing, using life to teach (in a funny way)  We are glass 1/2 full type of people, it can always get worse (and it has)always ready for a laugh at ourselves cause if you can't laugh at yourself....She is in the boy phase & there is so much to tease her about.  She wants to know about stuff then goes EEWWW I'm traumatized when we tell her, finders in her hears LALALALALALA.  She likes the attention though even if she protests & turns red.  Most of the time she is laughing so hard!  Last night I showed her that chapstick can burn (family joke). Her mom is totally the opposite, always looks sour...karma I say!!  :evil: :evil: She is one of the few cases where the kids were better off in daycares.. :-x anyways back to the story, she is realizing that her mom's idea of "real" doesn't match the rest of the world.  I'm hoping she will chose to live with us soon. We try to keep the "drama" to a minimum so this is her safe haven to rest up at safely away from her brother (thats a whole nother story too..)But she has the whole loyalty to mom thing going on & mummy dearest fosters the guilt,keeping em in line by setting them up for failure & encouraging to strive for sub-mediocre thus not enabeling them to survive in the real world.  How did I get off on this tangent?? Anyways have a wonderful day, it's stopped snowing & the sun is trying to poke out...hope it heats up the girls.  I have 3tab under & around the hives blk side up so it will absorb & radiate some heat (hopefully) AND keep the weeds/grass down! 
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 01:06:12 am »
Jody, that was interesting, hee, hee.  Isn't life just a barrel full of monkey laughs, hee, hee.  Thanks for sharing this tangent!!!  I loved it to pieces, and yes, I think we are twins, hee, hee, get that sometimes in this life, eh?  Beautiful day in this greatest of lives.  Cindi

anything