Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sour Smell  (Read 4730 times)

Offline UltraBeeMan

• Brood
Sour Smell
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
Just inspected my hives and have noticed lately a very sour sock smell from all them.  I did not see signs of AFB or EFB, but did notice we have a very nice fall nectar flow in progress, with lots of golden rod and asters - I know both plants can smell sour, could this be the source of the odor???  Having lost two hives in the past to AFB, I do know what the signs are, and remember that odor to be a bit more foul.  Come to think of it, every fall at this time the hives smell.  Maybe I answered my own question, but would like some conformation.

Thanks

Rob

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Re: Sour Smell
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »
Goldenrod?! I was thrilled when my entire backyard started to smell like a dirty lockerroom. Mmmm-mmm. Where are you?

Offline UltraBeeMan

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:14:43 pm »
Chester County PA

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »
Yep, it's the goldenrod.  Pam was looking around for dog poop the other day near the hives, until she realized it WAS the hives she was smelling.... LOL

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 02:40:30 pm »
This is why people harvest their honey before the goldenrod comes in.   Leave it for the bees.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 02:50:03 pm »
I love the things I learn here!  I, too, was thinking my hives were smelling funny, but I didn't find any reasons for concern when I inspected. 

Allen:  Is the reason most folks pull their honey before the goldenrod because the smell stays with the honey?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »
The smell goes away after a while, it is just as the honey ripens in the comb.  The honey is honey, still sweet.   But there is a little taste difference.  Some people want that honey to eat.   Suppose to make great mead.  It will crystallize quick also I am told.     

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:08:03 pm »
Chester County, not too close to me in Ohio. So we can't compare blooms too well. Oh well, good luck! You might consider updating your profile with your location.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 05:29:04 pm »
I only have 15 hives here at my home "rehab" yard right now but with the breeze that comes off the lake I can smell the goldenrod nectar before I actually notice blooms. This is a really strong flow for me and I've got customers that specifically want goldenrod honey so I'll extract every drop...we have another flow right on it's heels. It takes around 4-6 mos for the smell to dissipate but it's wonderful honey here.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907