Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB with Bee-O-Pac  (Read 3039 times)

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
SHB with Bee-O-Pac
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:35:53 pm »
I harvested a super of full Bee-O-Pac comb honey today and was dismayed to find a good number of SHB (20-30) in the super. No larva, but I have 2 questions.  Does the Bee-O-Pac make it easier for the SHB to survive, because it probably can get in the cracks between the frame, and the bees can't follow?  The other question, do I need to do anything in particular to the comb honey that I harvested?  Does it need to be frozen to prevent any larva from developing....  The honeycomb is delicious! and looks great!  I was quite pleased....in light of the drought we are experiencing right now....
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
SHB with Bee-O-Pac
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:41:32 pm »
Conrats on the honey.... Especially as dry as it is! I would freeze the comb just to be sure the SHB larva are dead. I am not sure about why SHB was worse with the Bee-o-Pac. Are your hives in full sun all of the time? Do they have SBB?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
SHB with Bee-O-Pac
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42:36 am »
The hives are basically in the sun for 5\6 of the day--shade in late afternoon, with a SBB, but I still have the other bottom board on too.  My next project is to take that off entirely, but that will be another day's activity as today is loaded already.
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
SHB with Bee-O-Pac
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 12:24:18 am »
I think taking off the solid bottom board will help relieve the SHB issue. It sounds like everything else is just right.
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

anything