Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making candy from honey  (Read 14858 times)

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
Making candy from honey
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:15:02 pm »
I did a search on this topic on this board and surprisingly didn't find anything.  Any reference to candy was in reference to the kind that you feed to bees, not to humans.

Anyway, I tried making some honey drops by just cooking honey to the hard-candy stage and they turned out bad - real dark with an unpleasant flavor. Does anyone know of a way to make candy from honey without adding anything else?  I'd rather not have to add cane sugar. 

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
Re: Making candy from honey
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:38:57 pm »
http://www.abbys-kitchen.com/recipe_data.asp?Name=Honey+Taffy+Candy

I just googled 'honey candy recipe' and got a tonne of options.  Aside from the taffy above though, you're not going to find much that has no ingredients aside from honey.  One ingredient kinda limits your options. 

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:39:40 am »
My wife has tried candy with honey too...and it turned out the same.  Something about the sugar ratios that is bad for heat.

Caramels worked ok, but there you still have to try awefully hard to keep it from burning.  I don't think that you can make hard candy (peanut brittle, etc) with honey.

-rick
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:31 am »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:06:09 pm »
OMG! Don't get me started on more recipes... :-D I am a honey nut, and only use honey in my kitchen. My favorite recipe book for sweets is, "Naturally Delicious Deserts and Snacks" by Faye Martin on Rodale press. It is out of print, but you can find it on Alibris.com

In addition to the recipes I'm sharing here, this book also features sesame crunch candy, divinity, pralines, toffee and cashew brittle!

REMEMBER: Honey is a humectant (A substance having affinity for water ) Meaning, honey will draw moisture from the air. For that reason, you must always pick a clear day for making candy with honey. Also store your finished candy in an air tight container. Candy is best made in small batches.

My 2 favorite honey candy recipes from Naturally Delicious Deserts and Snacks:

Almond  Crunch Candy:

1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup slivered almonds

In a heavy skillet melt the butter; stir in honey. Add almonds. Cook over medium heat until golden brown and frankly, smoky! (about 7 minutes - double the recipe? It will take more time.) Spread in a buttered 8x8 pan. Work quickly while it is still very hot (you can spread chocolate chips on top at this point and they make a chocolate layer) Cut into squares while still warm. 36 (hard and crunchy) pieces

Cream Caramels:

1 1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup butter
2 cups cream

Combine honey, butter, and 1 cup of cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook mixture until it starts to thicken and darken. Add remaining cup of cream and continue to cook until firm ball stage. (244*) pour into buttered 8x8 pan. Again, a layer of chocolate chips and/or pecans at the bottom make a lovely addition.

My own personal favorite;
Caramel Popcorn made with Honey and Maple syrup:

2 cup honey
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
20-30 cups of popped pop corn
3 TBS butter
2 tsp Baking Soda

Boil like heck in a fairly large vessel with a heavy bottom, until it reaches hard ball/crack stage (about 265*-270* - how crunchy do you like it? Higher temps = more crunch) Remove from heat. Add butter & stir briefly. Add baking soda - STAND BACK. Now you will understand why you needed a large pot! Let it foam and fuss as you stir it some more. Pour this caramel, over your popcorn (start with 20 cups, you can always add more.) Your popcorn should also be in a fairly large vessel that has been greased on bottom and sides. Watch out when pouring caramel - it is extremely hot! Coat the popcorn as much or as little as you like it. Once coated, keep stirring occasionally until it cools, or make it into popcorn balls immediately.

Too good....my dentist loves me.  :-P

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:27:56 am »
    Okay.  Another stupid question from yours truly.  Is there any way to dehydrate the honey until it's at a chewy or hard consistancy?  Like a food dehydrator or something like that?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline ME Girl

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:07 am »
http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Honey_Recipes.html

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/

James makes some good candy!!!

...JP

Thanks JP those are great sites!  I love to try new recipes.  I can't wait.  Have some honey from cut out that I have been wanting to use.

Shannon
Life is too short not to stop and watch the bees.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:07 pm »
    Okay.  Another stupid question from yours truly.  Is there any way to dehydrate the honey until it's at a chewy or hard consistancy?  Like a food dehydrator or something like that?
Some folks up in Prince Edward Island figured out how to do that and started a business. It's a trade secret.
http://www.honibe.com/honibe_honey_drop.html