Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's this white stuff?  (Read 6600 times)

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
What's this white stuff?
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:22:10 pm »
Must have had dirt on my camera since it is not a clear pic, but anyone know what the white is on this bee?
This is a package I hived about 10 days ago..

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: What's this white stuff?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:26:20 pm »
It's like nothing I've seen before. How is it attached to the bee and how many bees have them?

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:31:13 pm »
I should have picked it up and taken a closer look, but it is cool and cloudy and it was a quick inspection. It appears to be part of the bee and not like some powered sugar or anything.  I saw about 2-3 like that..

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:33:28 pm »
It's wax.  You'll really see this on a swarm after you put them on undrawn foundation.
Arvin & Colleen
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:01:25 pm »
Just to clarify-
They're called wax platelets.  The bees secrete the wax from their abdomen to build the comb.
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:38:45 pm »
I always thought it was secreted from the mouth somewhere? I guess this is only where it's shaped and molded into a cell.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 09:08:42 pm »
jep, wax, and i must say, an excelent picture, althoug it would be even greater if it was sharp!

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 09:41:11 pm »
wax scales...
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 10:05:39 pm »
Interesting.. never thought they looked like that.  Even more interesting that this bee was on the outside frame and they are still building frames 4,5,6..

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:40:54 pm »
Bees will build in unison when they can work jointly from both sides of the frame at the same time.  With full sheets of foundation you'll find that the bees build out different areas on different sides of the same frame and may even spread out the number of frames they are working on due to the barrier that the foundation creates.  Expecting bees to work uniformly on foundation is like expecting 2 carpenters to hit their nails on opposite sides of a wall at the same time with no communication.  Foundation will also be built out rather wavy until the final bit for the same reason. 
Bees working in unison will draw out comb faster than bees working with walls (foundation) between them.  This is one of the primary reason I went to starter strips over foundation.  I've found a hive on starter strips, working in unison, could draw out a complete frame of comb faster than bees on foundation could.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 12:55:04 am »
yup, wax come from the belly, yaw will see it now you know what to look for, other bee's will come by and take it off that bee and work it into comb or cappings
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 10:55:45 am »
Actually to be really specific about where the wax is secreted.  It is secreted from the four segments on the underside of the bees abdomen.  It is removed and chewed by the mandibles to make it soft and pliable then placed where comb is being built.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life, good health wishes to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service