Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How far for swarm traps  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
How far for swarm traps
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »
Just like the title, how far away from your hives should you place your swarm traps.  I read some literature the other day of 250 yards.

Just curious as next season I plan on putting out swarm traps in the general area.

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
Re: How far for swarm traps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »
just like fishing

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:16 pm »
50 foot to 100 miles.     That way you will catch swarms from some other hives, besides your own.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:10:04 pm »
just like fishing, trapping and hunting. Its all in location.   You could catch a swarm on your front porch but you would increase your odds by putting the trap on the edge of a field using the wind  to carry your lure out over the field.  Dont worry about distance or how  high you place them. I place them a eye level on westerly edges of fields in the shade but not to deep in the woods in areas that bee's frequent

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:25:06 pm »
Like every has already said,  there is no specific distance.  It is all in the bait.   Just pick a convenient location and if there is a swarm in the area and your trap meets their needs, they will use it.    I've had swarms right next to my hives.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything