Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Kansas  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Poverty Knob

• Brood
Hello from Kansas
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:23:16 pm »
I have been lurking around here for a couple of months and finally joined.
I have been interested in beekeeping for several years and finally decided to take the plunge. (next spring)
My wife and I have a small farm in South Central KS where we raise Draft Horses, Hay, Cattle and Goats. Bees just seem to be the next logical step.

J.L.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Kansas
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:15:48 am »
J.L., welcome to our forum, wonderful you found us, yes, bees are indeed the next logical step for sure.  Nice that you decided to join up, new members are important.  The more that you learn about the bees, the more that you willl want to learn.  Stick around, lean on our forum in ways to help you to get to know methods of beekeeping, how to keep those precious souls.  Ask your questions, all questions are important and will get answers.  Have the most awesome day, of health, love and peace, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:16:33 pm »
Welcome J.L.

Where in south central Kansas are you?  My husband and I own a small ranch just southwest of Medicine Lodge that was homesteaded by his great uncle in 1889.  We are not farmer/ranchers so we lease it out, but we get up there a couple of times a year.

I've thought about putting some hives up there but I am not sure it we be a very good place for bees.  Mostly scrub ranch land where we run cattle and have about 50 acres of wheat.  More than anything it is full of cedars which we keep trying to burn off but usually manage to burn our neighbors land instead.

Glad you found this site.  You will love getting to know the people here and learning for everyone's experience--and there is a lot of it here.
linda d

Offline Poverty Knob

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:30:44 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes.
ldaxon; We are just East of Kingman KS, about 60 miles East and North of Med. Lodge. I know that country well though, I worked on the Z Bar ranch for a couple of years in the 90's. Cedar trees are a constant battle in that area. 

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum Poverty Knob. As for your cedar problem. Sounds like a good place to raise some monster whitetail deer and start your own hunt business.