Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in Wall?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline ewart7034

• New Bee
  • First Hiving: 4-29-07
Bees in Wall?
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:46:51 pm »
Hi,

A friend contacted me asking if I could help get bees out of his wall.  My first hive is now 2 weeks old, so I guess I'm an expert on bees now.   ;)     I asked him if they were honeybees, and he thinks they are.   

Assuming they are, what recommendation should I give him?   Should I get him in touch with a local beekeeper who might be interested in trying to capture the swarm?  I'm guessing this would be difficult or impossible if they've already moved into the wall. 

In the past he called an exterminator, but apparently this is a repeat problem. 

Thanks,

NOrton

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Bees in Wall?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:54:41 pm »
The best way is to open up the wall and cut them out.  Depending on their location would dictate either opening from the outside or from the inside.  The other alternative would be to trap then out with a funnel trap.  The drawback to this is that it takes a month or more and the wax is left in the wall to attract other pests.

Good luck
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »
Just search cutouts on here and you will find all the info you need....we have posted alot about them in the past several months. You don't need to bee an expert; experience is the best teacher.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline ewart7034

• New Bee
  • First Hiving: 4-29-07
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:52:09 pm »
Thanks for the quick and informative replies.   I gave him an overview of his options, and offered, if he is interested, in putting him in touch with a beekeeper to come and do a cutout with him. 

Norton

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:16:34 am »
Questions I shall ask here:
1. How old is the house?
2. How are the bees getting in and out?
3. How long have the bees been there?
4. How much construction experence do you have?

We will start with that and follow up with more.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:41 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin