Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who knows wasp stings?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Who knows wasp stings?
« on: May 19, 2006, 08:15:15 pm »
I was doing a removel today, with the help of the wife, (we got her a bee suit from Better bee). After opening up the area they were in we drove the Pickup to a shade tree to let the bees calm a bit. It got to 101F today. AS we were standing around a sudden sharp burning pain appeared to the inside of the right knee. As I was attempting to try to kill what ever was in there, (had on bee suit over Blue jeans) another burning pain farther up the leg close to the right butt cheek. These things kept on burning and burning. And about an hour or so later they were hurting. Finally several hours later the pain subsided. Later I did get it in the upper arm by a bee. It burned and went away after a couple of minutes. But I still don't know what got into my clothes. Found a couple of sting bumps around the knee and higher up but no stinger.

Never been stung by a wasp, does this sound like it?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 09:18:50 pm »
I would think that a wasp or bee would be rather conspicuous if it had gotten into your clothing as I can testify from recent experiences. Perhaps ants got up your pants? They can do some nasty biting and survive and not be all that noticable.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:29:54 pm »
Yeah I thought about ants but I don't recall those hurting the way this did. We have those big red ants around these parts and I was always messing with them as a kid. The little bitty ones just causes a little sting and it's over.

Perhaps the critter was between the jeans and the bee suit????
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
stings
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:19:45 pm »
Sounds like fire ants, you never realize you got them till you have to do the  ochieshit dance.  A small scorpion will do that too.  I it looks like a cross between a boil and a hickie and a couple days from now it itches like holy heck - it was a scorpion.  But it sounds more like you picked up a couple ants at the hive.  A good mushing and you wipe away any trace of them. :lol:
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 11:40:01 pm »
Don't count out yellow jackets. They hurt like the dickens and many times will leave after stinging you several times...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:06:51 am »
A wasp would continue to sting.  They can sting repeatedly.  A bee or an something you squished but didn't see, like an ant, seems more likely.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 01:19:17 am »
Based on that description I'd have to say it was an ant/s.  By "the big red ones" I'm assumming you're refering to the Western Harvester ant.  Over here we have the Eastern Harvester ant and they bite more than they sting so it hurts but, doesn't leave that buttery colored puss welt.  The fire ants will.  What does the wound look like the next day?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 08:08:18 am »
i've been stung by wasps a few times. they have a tendency to sting repeatedly and do it quickly. especially yellow jackets.
so for me at first there is a sharp needle-like pain and then a short period of burning followed by a long period of itching. slight swelling too.
but it seems like everyone responds to insect bites/stings differently.

Offline bcarpenter

• New Bee
    • http://www.emwd.com
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 08:41:24 am »
I vote for ants. It could have been worst. I know of a pastor who was in the desert in Arizona doing some target practice with a friend. He felt something scurry up his leg and felt a burning pain on the right side of his buttocks. He did the dance and took off his pants while in excruciating pain. He discovered that it was a 10-12 inch centipede that went up his leg and bit him and the bite was poisonous. He was rushed to the emergency room and received anti-venom.

The story made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. If that happened to me, I would have died from the horror not the poison.
Yours in Christ,
Brian

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Who knows wasp stings?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 01:05:51 pm »
Quote from: randydrivesabus
i've been stung by wasps a few times. they have a tendency to sting repeatedly and do it quickly.

I might have to agree with the yellow Jacket. The one on the leg, (the one I could see easily) looked like a whole line of very quick shallow injections, perhaps three quarters of an inch long. Then a deep hard injections. Then a couple more spots that were hit somewhere between the intensities of the others. After it finally stop hurting none of them are more than red and a small bump.

I had knocked down a couple of small nest. Found and killed one of the occupants but couldn't fine the other. Perhaps that one went up the leg and got me. I didn't rip off the clothes to look for it. Figured I killed it cause it stopped stinging me. Then later I peeled off the bee suit to cool down a bit but didn't think to look for dead critters. So it probably feel out unnoticed.

I use to tape the leg openings shut around my boots but got away from that habit. Just never know whats gonna crawl up there and bite you on the ____.

anything