Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tiny Swarm  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
Tiny Swarm
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:48:46 pm »
Got a call to go catch a swarm yesterday.  Turned out to be a micro swarm.  Maybe 1000 bees if you include the ones flying, but more like a few hundred.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do people usually do with a swarm this small?  I have it in a deep with some comb.  I do not have a NUC box to put it into.
I am planning to feed feed feed, but with is being so small, would it be better to just to combine with another hive?  It would be nice at the very least to keep it separate and going to have an extra queen on hand in case any of the others go queenless in the next few months.  I could transfer to a medium as well if that would be better for now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

John

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Re: Tiny Swarm
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:29:12 pm »
Could you drop a piece of plywood in to turn it into a nuc?  Smaller is best - I don't know if you would want to disturb them by moving them into a medium.  Hopefully a more experienced beek will chime in.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »
Put them in a medium And Give them 3 frames and block the rest off  then as they grow you add another frame.       Schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:42:00 am »
Thanks Schawee and greenbtree.  I went ahead transferred them to the medium  Fortunately I had placed two medium frames with foundation and comb into the deep.  It was the only comb I had handy.  The bees were on these two frames and they transferred over easily.  So far so good and even though it is a small colony, they seem content so far. 

John

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »
I had a similar situation (at least the end result) a dozen years ago... I had brought my swarm trap box (about the size of a nuc) home and had it sitting on my picnic table.  A few weeks later while cutting the grass, I realized the box was the new home for a micro-colony of bees.  With feeding and careful management, they actually built up enough to survive the next NY winter and several more.   :)

anything