Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can i cut out a frame of crimp wire foundation  (Read 2139 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Can i cut out a frame of crimp wire foundation
« on: August 03, 2006, 08:26:30 pm »
Hello All

I have a second deep hive body on my big hive and they have half filled with honey. But the thing of it is that i have crimp wire foundation and i was wondering if i could maybe cut one frame of it out so i can have some comb honey for myself. The frame is heavy and capped and my hives has been on a roll lately in this  very hot wheather and they all seem to be working good hive three i know i have to add another frame in it so it will have ten frames. But how would i go about taking this one frame and getting the wire out  so i can have a little reward for myself  since i will not get no honey this year due to the hot wheather.

Tom

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:44:14 pm »
Cut around the wires?  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline tom

• House Bee
Thanks jerry
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:28:41 pm »
Hello

Thank you JerryMac i will do so it is nothing but this one frame and tonite when i went pass the hive i could smell the honey from inside and i am thinking of putting another super on. It is dry here but my hives are working hard on something i know there is a field of soybeans not even a mile up the road from me but only a few of my bees are heading in that direction they seem to be heading toward the wood near the lake so something is blooming.

Tom

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 02:21:13 am »
When foundation wires are, or become, exposed it is most often that the bees will not work that part of the frame or foundation.  If you want them to rebuild the area you cut be sure to remove the wire support for that portion you cut out.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 01:05:27 pm »
I thought crimped wire foundation was not edible (even w/o the wire).  If  you want comb honey, you're supposed to use cut comb foundation.  I assume the difference is in the processing and handling for food grade material.
Somebody explain this please.
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 10:59:57 pm »
Foundation being wax is edible, the wire being metal isn't.  I hope this clarifies your concern.   Of course contamination can change the general rule.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything