Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Non-critical Drone Question  (Read 2197 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Non-critical Drone Question
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:54:01 pm »
the last couple of days i have noticed a few drone flying into the hive.  prior to this, i had only seen a couple of drones anywhere.  the health of my hive seems to be good, so i am not worried about it.  just curious.

is this when the hive tosses to drones out?  do they kill them, or just banish them?  are banished drones trying to return home?  what else might the drones be doing outside the hive?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:33:48 pm »
They go out looking for a date.  They drift from hive to hive until they are given the boot.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:17:06 pm »
thegolfpyscho is correct drones drift about but it is also the time of year that the hives will start killing off the drones, if they haven't already.  The presence of drones should decline until there are none around labor day.
You should also see a decrease in the amount of drone brood in proportion the worker brood within the brood chamber.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 01:04:42 am »
A little early for the drones to get the boot around here.  Usually becomes more evident as summer gives way to fall.  After the heat this year, I'm ready for some fall temps too.  I left for work the other morning at 5am, and it was still 88 degrees!!  That kind of heat is hard on a fat guy!!

Offline paulybee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:09:21 am »
You should also see a decrease in the amount of drone brood in proportion the worker brood within the brood chamber

How can one tell the difference between drone brood and worker brood?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:49:46 am »
The cappings on drone brood are generally raised higher than the worker brood.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 08:55:33 am »
and the cells are obviusly bigger, usually drone cells are built on the edges and on the outer combs. drones need a bit lower temperature to develope.

anything