Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sugar  (Read 4007 times)

Offline DENNIS

• New Bee
sugar
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:43:30 pm »
hi
As a new bee keeper does anyone know were to get cheap sugar to feed the bees.  I live in northwest nj

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
sugar
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 04:48:39 pm »
How many hives do you have?

Offline DENNIS

• New Bee
sugar
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 04:52:29 pm »
I have 10 hive plus one nuc

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
sugar
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:56:22 pm »
wal-mart, costco, sams club.  they all sell 25lb bags and it's much cheaper than buying 5lb bags in the grocery store.  we also have a restaurant supply outlet that has sugar sometimes, but usually the bags are ripped and taped and it's kind of a pain.  tends to attract ants, etc.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
sugar
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:34:34 pm »
Dollar General and other dollar stores.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
sugar
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:36:04 pm »
I get mine from a small local bakery. Very cheap, only one draw back and that's the large bag.

Rich V.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
sugar
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:58:39 am »
My mother's name was Bee (Really), Dad used to say that he was like a bee in that home was where his honey was.  He also called her suger and sweetheart.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
sugar
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:29:46 pm »
When you get the sugar double check the price per pound.  Last year it was cheaper for us to buy sugar at Sam's by the ten pound rather than twenty-five or fifty pound bags.  Later the price swapped around and we started buying the larger bags.  

We've found this to be true in a lot of products and stores.  We always carry a calculator now if the grey matter is fritzing out.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
sugar
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:13:09 pm »
The cheapest place we found is Aldis.  They only sell it in the 5 lbs bag for 1.85...  I think their price is 7 cents per pound cheaper than SAMS or wallyworld.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
sugar
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 09:51:25 pm »
I priced sugar at Wal-Mart the other day and five 5 lb bags was cheaper than a 25 lb bag of the same brand....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
sugar
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:09:14 am »
I'm sure the price of a 5 lb bag is less than a 25 lb bag but what was the price per pound.  If a 5 lb bag costs $ .99 and a 25 lb bag costs $4.99 the the 5 lb bag is cheaper per pound than the 25 lb bag.  :)
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
sugar
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:33:15 am »
We have in Finland often "kick in prices". But the difference between prices is so small that it is not worth to drive car here and there hunting lowest prices.  Time and gas is money too.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
sugar
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 01:52:44 am »
>When you get the sugar double check the price per pound. Last year it was cheaper for us to buy sugar at Sam's by the ten pound rather than twenty-five or fifty pound bags

>I priced sugar at Wal-Mart the other day and five 5 lb bags was cheaper than a 25 lb bag of the same brand....

Bigger isn’t always cheaper. At Costco here, two 25 lb sacks are usually a little less than a single 50 lb sack.

Since jelly making time is approaching, grocery stores this time of year sometimes have sugar on sale, too.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
sugar
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 09:34:33 am »
i agree with finsky....if you're going out of your way to save money on sugar you might very well be losing money on gas. dont forget to factor that in.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
sugar
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 01:51:45 am »
Most grocery and department plus stores have advertisements--read them and decide where to shop before you go--that way you don't waste time or gas.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
sugar
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 03:13:28 am »
True...  With gas prices and the fact we have to drive a ways for some of our shopping we try and keep it down to one trip a week.  We start at the far end and shop our way back, no doubling back allowed.  My wife has a steel trap mind when it comes to cost and manufacturer of items.  

I'm a very lucky guy.    :D

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)