Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Swarm of 2014 - Need Observation Hive Advice!  (Read 3125 times)

Moots

First Swarm of 2014 - Need Observation Hive Advice!
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
Wow! Crazy day...
Just got my observation hive that I had been working on installed this week, hand't even had time to post pictures and do an update to the thread I had started on it.  I was working in the workshop today wiring some frames with plans on doing some hive inspections later in the day.  Around the time I was getting ready to start my inspections, I walked out to take a look at my hives, something about 20 yards beyond them in a briar patch caught my eye, about 6 feet off the ground, I noticed a dark spot.  I thought....hmmm, that kind of looks like a swarm.  Upon a closer look, IT WAS!

STOP EVERYTHING, change of plans....weighed a few options, but decided to shake them in a Nuc and load them in my observation hive.  I debated letting them settle into the Nuc before putting them in my OH, but I decided, what the heck, no guts no glory...and just decided to load into the OH today.  Figured they'll either stay or they won't.  :-D

Surprisingly, the load actually went quit well...But one problem has me quit concerned. After bringing it inside, there was about 25 bees or so still buzzing around outside.  They never did figure it out and find their way into the entry tube, while at the same time, no bees in the OH ventured out.

Now, my entry tube really is not optimal, it comes out the OH and makes a 90 degree turn upward, then makes a downward turn to the exit hole.  The entire run is only about a foot, but they do have a little hill to climb.  Nothing that I ever thought for a moment should be a problem....BUt I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm wrong.

OR....Hopefully, this may be normal and it may just take them a little time to figure the whole thing out!  Figured I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings before I hit the panic button big time.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!  :)

Moots

Re: First Swarm of 2014 - Need Observation Hive Advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:50:40 pm »
Double Post.....Sorry!  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:02:17 pm »
Swarm come off your hives? So at least someones season is getting started.
Glad for ya Moots. Where's those pictures at?

Moots

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:04:59 pm »
Swarm come off your hives?

Don't know for sure...but can't imagine that it didn't.  :?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »
That "tube" you speak of isn't PVC or something too slick to climb?

Congrads on the swarm catch!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:18:53 pm »
That "tube" you speak of isn't PVC or something too slick to climb?

Congrads on the swarm catch!

The 90 is PVC, with a very small piece of PVC attaching it to vacuum cleaner hose for about 8 inches or so, then a few inch inches of clear tubing headed outside.

Didn't think climbing PVC would be a problem for a bee...Am I wrong about that?

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »
Sounds awesome.  Make sure to take pictures when you get a chance.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
Jeff, verified my first swarm today. First sunny kinda warm day after a cold snap.
Later,
Ray

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 08:06:40 am »
Bees will climb the pvc just fine. I had a run of over four feet with a couple turns and they navigated without incident. I actually left it as 1 1/4 from outdoors to hive.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 08:07:52 am »
If you think about it, they climb a glass window pane with no effort. :)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 08:25:22 am »
If you think about it, they climb a glass window pane with no effort. Smiley

good point
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:58:12 am »
Bees will climb the pvc just fine. I had a run of over four feet with a couple turns and they navigated without incident. I actually left it as 1 1/4 from outdoors to hive.

Buzz,
That's certainly encouraging....and kind of what I was thinking.  Any idea why I'm seeing zero traffic at the moment...Is this normal, or should I be worried?

They also haven't showed any interest in the feeding jar at the other lower end of the hive, for whatever that's worth.
I'm trying to leave the glass completely covered as to not disturb them and encourage them to stay, but took a peak last night with a red light.  They seem to all be gathered in the upper and middle section of the hive, not much activity down low, where the feeder and exit are located... :?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:26:51 am »
Did you notice if you had the queen Moots?
I have had them just take time setting up housekeeping before. Remember the bees in the swarm likely had full honey stomachs and may be building wax under the cluster to get things started.They need to cluster to keep the wax moldable. They will move around when they are ready. Whether it is to start foraging or to abscond.

Moots

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
Did you notice if you had the queen Moots?
I have had them just take time setting up housekeeping before. Remember the bees in the swarm likely had full honey stomachs and may be building wax under the cluster to get things started.They need to cluster to keep the wax moldable. They will move around when they are ready. Whether it is to start foraging or to abscond.

I'm thinking/hoping that may be the case. 

I didn't put eyes on the queen, I seldom do  :(, but am pretty confident I got her by how well the rest of the bees moved to both the Nuc after the swarm shake as well as when I loaded the frames into the OH.

Thinking I'll just take a wait and see approach....Thanks!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 05:45:57 am »
Moots,
Was the swarm round bottom or pointed? At the bee college this weekend, I learned that a swarm with a queen will have a round bottom as compared to a pointed bottom if there is no queen. It's her pheromones that make the difference. I also learned that it is best to use a clear tube. You can buy a 1 1/4 clear tube at the hardware store and replace it. On my way home from the college, I received a call from my wife that my OH hive had clogged up the tube with dead bees. I took it apart and cleaned it. It was real yellow. The next day it was clogged again. This happened once before and after I replaced the tube the problem stopped so I replaced it and they stopped clogging it up. My tube is 30" inches long.
It does take a few day for them to figure it out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 05:53:59 am »
I meant to add, looks great. Looks like it really matches the room real well like it was originally part of the room. Once you have brood, you should not have a problem opening the covers during the day while you are watching them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:52:47 am »
Moots,
Was the swarm round bottom or pointed? At the bee college this weekend, I learned that a swarm with a queen will have a round bottom as compared to a pointed bottom if there is no queen. It's her pheromones that make the difference.

Jim,
That very interesting...hadn't heard that before.  This one had a round bottom.  :)

I also learned that it is best to use a clear tube. You can buy a 1 1/4 clear tube at the hardware store and replace it. On my way home from the college, I received a call from my wife that my OH hive had clogged up the tube with dead bees. I took it apart and cleaned it. It was real yellow. The next day it was clogged again. This happened once before and after I replaced the tube the problem stopped so I replaced it and they stopped clogging it up. My tube is 30" inches long.
It does take a few day for them to figure it out.

Yes, I originally purchased a clear tube and intended on using that...However, because of my design, or lack there of  :laugh:, there was simply no way to make it work on the run a had, it was much too rigid.  The current hose has the flex that I really needed.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how it works out.  It's a short run, so "maybe" that will help my situation, they obviously figured it out because yesterday I had plenty of traffic coming and going.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:07:17 am »
First of all, your OB hive looks great!  I know you'll enjoy it and I wish you all the best with it.

As for PVC experiences, after going 2' horizontal, I go +6' straight up with 3" PVC.  My entrance and exit is to look like a small sewage gas vent pipe at first glance as it's in a commercial business.  Bees can't do that vertical length of PVC well.  My first year I noticed the hives population was diminishing steadily.  I saw them coming in and out but at fewer and fewer numbers.  I went to investigate and found a stinking 2' mass of wet rotting dead bees in my pipe clean out.  Apparently as they were climbing out they would slip and fall to the bottom and start over. 

Enough did this that they start suffocating as more fell on top.  They'd puke up their stomach contents as they panicked and it would mix with the other bees and pollen sacks.  Fast forward 2 weeks and it was nasty brew.  I got a flexible 9' long, 2" wide fabric strap and stapled it to a 5" dowel.  I put the dowel in the "T" joint that serves as the exit and entrance and let the strap hang down and trimmed it to fit.  The bees climb the fabric strap with no trouble.  I'd assume the inside of the PVC is now covered in bits of propolis and foot traffic debris  the footing is now much better than when it was shiny new.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:39:44 pm »
D,
9' that is amazing. The instructor said to try to keep it under a foot.  :-D. as I said before, mine is 30". I do try to keep it flat. The bees walk in a stair step manner. They walk up at an angle towards the direction they are going and fall then walk again, over and over.
Great idea of adding a material ladder. I might just add a piece of cloth in the pipe.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 01:13:44 pm »
So glad I didn't hear about keeping it under a foot.  I might not have taken this chance.  After seeing the lengths some of my cut outs travel I figured it wouldn't be an issue especially when I put an existing nucs worth of frames in there.  Short of the vertical PVC challenge they took to it like a duck to water. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...