Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New from Northwest Mississippi  (Read 2128 times)

Offline msmud

• New Bee
New from Northwest Mississippi
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »
Hi and Happy New Year to all.

I'm a retired firefighter from Reno, NV. transplanted out here in MS. We have been here since '93, so I suppose we are becoming locals....Ha Ha  I have plenty of spare time to devote to this hobby.

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about beekeeping, there is a ton. Got two hives built w/4 supers for each. Waiting to order a couple packages of bees soon. I think I will use foundationless frames (a little less expensive)
The cost can sure add up for a starting beekeeper. Type at ya'll soon.

Mike S.
OOOoooooow I hate earth wobble....

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: New from Northwest Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:25:38 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:34:27 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:05:55 pm »
Welcome to the site Mike!

What are you doing in Mississippi? Don't you know that when you retire, you are supposed to move to Florida!  :lau:

Larry

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:28 am »
welcom to the forum and Mississippi beekeeping
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:55:28 am »
Hi Mike,

Welcome, new myself, there is alot to read here also.  I am between Laurel and Hattiesburg.  You can go to some local bee assoc. meeting and get info.  Weight what you hear for the pro's and con's.  I will be changing the hives I bought to foundationless this spring. 

Joe

Ovett, Ms

Offline msmud

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »
Thanks Joe D. and all for the nice welcome. I'm looking forward to gaining a lot of info and help from the folks on this forum.

And Larry we got side tracked the wife took a job here at twice her salary and has since retired. We really like the place we have here (about 7 acres) out away from town. Sooooo..no decisions yet on any move.

Mike S.
OOOoooooow I hate earth wobble....

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:15 pm »
Several people here in mid MS that you can get nucs from instead of ordering packages. message me and I will give you a few names.  Harry Fulton the State Entamologiest and long time leader of the the state beekeeping associaton is up north MS might e mail him for more local info bigbee.valley.bees@att.net I find that local stock is heartier and more pest resistant than ordering from out of state.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:05 am »
youall Ms. boys need to show up here this spring and meet some of the other forum guys, nice bunch and then we gona have a few of them boys and gals from north o the line
youall take care and have yo self a goodun
might be kinda a cluster Mike as i told jp he was in charge of getting things togather this yr
to bee or not to bee

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:59:17 am »
He'll do ok. Just so's you don't let him take over the Cinnamon rolls, set a date quick so I can get time off to help with da smokin if needed,

anything