Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bronze Mermaid Colony removal...Any ideas?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Bronze Mermaid Colony removal...Any ideas?
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:13 pm »
I got a call for a unique removal...Honeybees have established a colony inside a Bronze Mermaid statue.  There are two entrances, and judging by the massive amounts of pollen going in, these girls have been here for a while with a very busy queen...  (please forgive the anatomy pics!)

There is an entrance tucked in behind her hair here. 

This was after some smoke to check their temperament, so they are spread out a bit more.  Please look to the lower left also, the Coy has a missing eyeball, and they are using that as a second entrance.   

Short of tipping this monster of bronze over, anybody have any ideas for removal? 

Thanks for any input! 

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
Re: Bronze Mermaid Colony removal...Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »
I'd do a trap out.

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »
I love it ! Will they part with the statue ?
Cheers,
Drew

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:54 pm »
Trap out is the way to go. But be sure to seal up well after you finish. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:15:29 am »
Thank you all, though honestly, with all the crooks and crevices, and double entrance, I don't know how a trap out is reasonable.  There is easily six inches of difference, if not more, from the inner crevices to the outer arms and such, and they all inter-twine.   The best idea I could come up with (based on the home owner telling me they moved in around Christmas), was to try to smoke them out.  Having seen the colony today, I truly believe they are bearding, and based on the amount of pollen going in, I believe they are well established inside the statue.   I have another day before I commit, but I am leaning toward the removal from the bottom and laying the entire statue over.  I appreciate the trap out ideas, but seriously, I don't see it possible to seal ALLLLL the areas!   Any more ideas are appreciated, but I see a trap out as rather impossible.  Thanks to all! 

I can honestly say, I am truly curious to see what kind of comb the bees built inside such a structure!!!   :laugh:

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:51:25 am »
Oh you're going to have a great time framing those combs  ;) if you can get @ them. Perhaps lay statue on side and do a coax out with frame of eggs ?

Wonder what it would bring on E-Bay ? Is that all bronze ? I'd go $500 @ least.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:29:01 pm by Maryland Beekeeper »

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
By the looks of that thing, you may not have access to the comb. If that's the case, I would just beevac what I could and close off any openings forever. Smoke would help drive them out. You wouldn't get them all.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »
Personally, I think a trap out would be the only reasonable method.  It is hard to tell by the pictures,  but if there are only two entrances, close one off and cone the other.   If there are other gaps,  aluminum foil for small and #8 for larger openings.   

I think you're in for a major headache try to go in for the bottom.   How do you get access to all the comb and bees from a small opening in the bottom?

If your really against a trap out and only plan on getting the bees out,  you can try slowly immersing it in water to drive the bees out.  Not a trivial task and not what I would do, but you asked about "other" options. :?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 01:02:25 pm »
...I'd try putting a box with some eggs (and perhaps a queen) nearby, and then start filling the holes with sand...a little at a time.  If the owners don't want sand in the statue, you could use water (and seal up any leaks with wax or putty as they show themselves), or sugar (which could be washed/robbed out later), or flour...anything to fill the cavity from the bottom up.  The idea is to make the cavity small enough to drive the bees out.

deknow

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:11:38 pm »
Water seems like a good idea

mvh edward  :-P

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »
I would bet that there is a drain hole in the bottom of that statue against the ground.   Being brass, a torch, fire, or heater might melt out all the comb, over heat the bees and run them out.   Might be a whole lot quicker than a trap out.   

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:07:25 pm »
I'll go $600 ! :)

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:56:52 pm »
If there are only two holes the bees can use, you could also just plug one up, pipe the other into a net or closed off box, and give em some bee go, bee quick, or even a bit of formic acid, gasoline....anything to make them decide it is a good idea to get out.

deknow

anything