Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Datura and bees  (Read 3847 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Datura and bees
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:38 am »
Last night I was outside in the fading light deadheading some sunflowers.  I realized I could hear a loud chorus of buzzing.  I looked over at the direction of the sound and was amazed to see hundreds of bees all over the datura.  This was 7:20 at night, the sun was almost gone (sunset at 7:25), although it wasn't as dark as the pictures make it seem, that's the flash that came on and made the heavy contrast.  They were still there at 7:35, although starting to go home by then.

They were very busy collecting pollen, I think, although the flowers smell lovely, they may be gathering nectar, too.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Datura and bees
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:22:46 am »
Ann, what lovely pictures.  That Datura certainly is a show stopper eh?  I think that I may have to add this to my gardens again.  Remember I was saying that I had one once and got rid of it.  I think that if I had a group growing like you do, it would make for a very beautiful little spot.  I am going to check out my seed catalogue and see how long it takes to grow from seed.  Some plants have to be started very soon for bloom the next year.  Look at the second picture Ann, is that nectar that is on the leaves that looks kind of shiny?  Do you remember seeing it?  I don't get into this garden forum very much, I am sad that I missed this post that you put in so long ago.  I must remember to get into the gardening forum too.  Have a wonderful day, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:40:12 pm »
It's rain, Cindi, we occasionally get a misting or so  :roll:  At least that's all we seem to get nowadays!

Datura may overwinter for you, so you can just let the plants that grow where you want them to stay.  Occasionally they'll make it for me, here.  You can tell the difference, seedlings come up as single stems, but overwintered roots sprout many shoots at once.  They'll be earlier than volunteers, Daturas take quite a long time from seed to flower, you have to start them indoors around here in late February to have decent sized plants for spring planting.

And yes, you do need to visit the gardening forum more.  We gardeners have to stick together!  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:41:25 am »
Ann, yep, the gardening forum is now on my top list  :) to visit.  I am going to get the Datura seed from my seed company and it will be one of the flowers I propogate.

I love snapdragons, I used to grow a cultivar called "Liberty" for me and my customers.  Liberty is a semi-dwarf, wind tolerant snap that does not fall over like the tall ones, like Rocket series.  It is a dense, dense plant, producing fabulous cut flower material all summer long.  I wanted to have this variety of snapdragon in my gardens this year, because of my love for them.  Ha!!!!!  What a joke.  I hate to buy flowers from the garden centres because they cannot even begin to hold a candle to the quality that I can grow in my own greenhouse.  But I wanted snapdragons.  Do you think I could find this variety anywhere?  Nope, they had all the little rounded shaped varieties, and I don't like them, I wanted cutting variety.  Everyone said that this variety was not offered this year from their growers.  Whatever!!!!!!

So, here I am again, going to grow my own, I know my capability of producing beauties of flowers and plants, so I guess I will just use myself and grow on!!!!!

The Liberty Snapdragon has some of the most beautiful and deep shade colours that you could imagine.  The white and red is my very favourite.  The red is deep, almost maroon, and the white is pure, clear white, no hint of green that so many white flowers possess.  The whitest white you could ever imagine.  Oh man, I miss my snapdragons.

The Liberty snapdragons have self-seeded all over my place, but the plants are so inferior that when they germinate and start to grow, I cull them, I may let one or two grow because all snaps are pretty, but of course the Liberty is a F1 hybrid, so it is the best of the best of two parents and the babies are so icky.  Too bad eh?

I am starting to think about the seed ordering now, my catalogues have come and this is some wintertime fun.

Many seeds I have to begin in February to get some beautiful plants to set out in May, like the Snapdragons, Heliotrope, Tuberous begonias, Inca Marigolds (the large flowered, large plant ones) and many others, but those come to mind.  Lobelia I generally begin around the end of February, and that takes a long time too.

Who said wintertime was boring?  Have a wonderful day, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:47:57 pm »
 hey Rienbeau, What a great pic. of Datura!
What struck  me is I just planted some this spring. I got some seeds from a lady who had them in her front yard. Ive been looking at them for years( going back and forth to mom and dads house) and always called them "Easter Lilly Vines". I told my wife the other day that the pre blooms look like mini-ochras!
Thanks for the lesson!
your friend,
john

anything