Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting in the spring of 2013  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Beeninja

• New Bee
Starting in the spring of 2013
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:10:15 pm »
I have my hive built and my equipment is tested and ready to be deployed. All I am waiting on is the girls to show up in April. I am curious, is anyone else starting out with his or her first hive this spring? I am like a kid waiting for Christmas.   :-D

Moots

Re: Starting in the spring of 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:54 pm »
I was that exact guy...And I know exactly how you feel because I wasn't sure I was going to make it till Spring. 

I got lucky, while confirming my reservation for 2 Nucs with bailey it came up in conversations that he actually had a couple of Nucs that could be ready to go if I didn't mind feeding them to finish getting them through the winter.  I jumped at the opportunity and picked them up about a week and a half ago and have been like a kid in a candy store ever since.  :-D

Life is good!

Are you going with a Nuc or a Package?
Also, are you starting with 1 hive?  That was originally my plan, however, if you can pull it off, many knowledgeable folks recommend starting with at least 2 hives.  It doubles your chance of success and gives the new beek the opportunity to compare and contrast how things are going.  Just something to give some thought....

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Offline Beeninja

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:02:10 am »
I am going with a package and one hive.  I want to make sure I do not kill the one hive before I try two. I would hate to decimate the bee population do to a learning curve.  Plan is to do a split if the hive takes off.  There is so much to learn and so much at stake. All those bees are counting on me to succeed. Feels like when the kids were born. Oh boy  :lol:

Moots

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:11:29 pm »
I know the feeling...I don't want to lose any of my bees.  Smashed one the other day putting the cover on my Nuc and felt terrible.

However, the one thing that EVERY experienced beekeeper tells me is....You will lose hives, get use to it, it's an unavoidable part of beekeeping!  I'm trying to prepare myself for that part of the hobby, but hoping I can postpone it for as long as possible.  :)

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:50:16 pm »
I'm starting my first hive this spring.  I've been feverishly reading and watching videos.  I plan on starting with one hive as well.  I ordered my nuc so I'm just waiting for the message saying it's ready for pick up(I know I have at least 2 more months to wait though).  This is a very nerve wracking time trying to make sure I have everything ready and I learn enough to get it up and running.
MUCH like becoming a parent for the first time!  I can't wait to get my hands on the whole set up so I can really get a grasp on all the ins and outs.
Good luck with your hive!!!!
Sally

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:38 pm »
Don't sweat it. Most of the time bees survive despite us helping them. :-D

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:42 pm »
I too am like a kid at Christmas... LOL Starting with two nucs in April and am not ready. I just got my neighbor to cut some cypress for me so that i can build my second hive. Bought my first, but i really enjoy woodworking and would like to put my own touches on this one. I have also been told to expect some losses  :( Hopefully not too soon.  Wish everyone the best of luck on the new hobby. Moots keep asking those questions, because i'm sure i will face all the same problems you are going through now... 
Marshall

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:07 pm »
Don't sweat it. Most of the time bees survive despite us helping them. :-D

Most of the time, the less we do the better off they are.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:17 am »
Would have to agree with Buzz and Jim.  I still probably inspect my to often some time and not enough others, but they are still doing fine.  Good luck to yall.

Joe

Offline Dagar

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:39 am »
I'm  sitting here waiting for my Mid May ship day....just like you I'm very excited. I can't seem to get enough Information. I read and watch every article/ video I can get my hands on.  I want this to work out....this is my first try. I just completed my TBH and have it ready.
With that said can anybody tell me how to tell if the hive is at the correct temperature ?  I built a bottom screen and also a closure board to seal the bottom. When will I know when it time to close it for winter?

Dagar
Dagar

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 02:03:35 am »
this is going to be my 1st year as well. i built a tbh like here in the forums and another with a different set up. im starting with 2 hives because im geeked about the whole hobby. i have my 1st package coming the 9th and a 2nd 2 weeks later so that i have time to figure things out. i even made my own feeders for them even though i bought some just in case the ones i made didnt work. next year i hope to split my hives and add a few more hives as well. i just cant wait to get the year rolling. im praying that God will bless me with a good Bee Year. on the 13th i have a beginners class im going to just to see bees, hives and everything else. ive been reading books and videos as well just to get the scoop.

i read in christy hemingway's book that if the temp is around 50 at nite that the bottom board could be lowered. thats what i plan to do til it gets real hot here then im closing it up. now i dont know if thats rite or not.

Offline Beeninja

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:40:14 pm »
Well I made it to April and much to the post masters liking I picked my bees up last week. They are installed in my TBH and so far doing well. The queen is out and some were in the pile of bees. I already find it hard not to check on them but I want to let them settle in. I built in a viewing window and that helps curve the erg to open up the hive a lot.  I’m feeding them sugar water until they get established and the brood comb is built. I already find myself watching them come and go out of the entrance. This is going to be awesome. 

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »
gratz. im getting my bees in a couple of days :-D.

i cant wait.

Offline Beeninja

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:35:21 am »
good luck and keep us posted

Offline ryan H

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »
How are you enjoying the girls now that you're a few months in? I'm, to put simply, just impressed with the intire process. My simple expression doesn't even come close to the complex rhythmic nature of the hive. The thing that I enjoy most is watching them early in the morning while sipping a cup coffee. When the sun is at the right angel I'm able to see every bee going to and from the hive. Amazing.

anything