Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining weak topbar hives  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Leather Jim

• House Bee
Combining weak topbar hives
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions on combining two topbar hives? I see lots of info on langs but couldn't find anything onTBH. I have two very weak hives with only 1 laying queen and would like to give them a chance to get through this winter. I have 4 others that are doing ok. Thought about moving them into those but hate to waste the Russian queen that finally started laying. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Combining weak topbar hives
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:16:44 pm »
If they are both weak, I would just smoke them heavily, put them all in the same box (with all the brood together) and then smoke them heavily before you close up.   If one of them was strong, I'd make a frame that fits tightly and staple some newspaper on it for a horizontal newspaper combine...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:05 pm »
If your follower board has a hole in it for bees to go to an internal feeder on the other side, you can cover the follower board with newspaper. Put a slit where the hole is, and then put the other hive bars in place with the follower between. I would wait for one of these really experienced guys to chime in, but I would think you need to plug entrances on one side of the hive so that there is only one way in or out. This will ensure that the bees on the entry-less side of the hive, must interact with the bees on the other side. A buddy did this last month with great success.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:12 pm »
Every time I've done this I did as MB suggested.

Lots of smoke before, during and after combining them.  In fact, weather permitting I have a combine to do this afternoon.

Offline Leather Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 05:26:30 pm »
Thanks everyone, been a great help. : )