Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queenless nucs  (Read 1149 times)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
queenless nucs
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »
helped a friend set up two 5 frame nucs athis spring and helped him today.   they are both queenless so I ordered a new queene.  there are no larvea or capped brood so they have been queenless for a while.

should I even bother with the the news paper or just put the two brood boxes on top of one another and add the caged queen? 

should I put all ten frames of the Nucs in  on box and put undrawn in the other? 

I have ten frames of drawn comb from the nucs that are half filled with honey and ten newer frames that have some drawn comb on before every thing went to ............

i'm thinking just put the two brood boxes togethere the way they are and adding the caged queen in the upper box. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: queenless nucs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:57:50 pm »
I would use newspaper to combine the 2 nucs.   That way the 2 hives would be together by the time the queen gets here.  Then you can worry about moving them to a 10 frame box later.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: queenless nucs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:58:30 pm »
>helped a friend set up two 5 frame nucs athis spring and helped him today.   they are both queenless so I ordered a new queene.  there are no larvea or capped brood so they have been queenless for a while.

Or they have a virgin who will be laying any day now...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfallacies.htm#nobroodnoqueen
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything