Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pressure washing around bees?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
Pressure washing around bees?
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:14:27 pm »
Hi all -
I'm about to have my house painted and my hives are not far from the back of my house.  They could get some of the spray residue...
Can you advise anything re formula's for pressure washing that are OK to be used around my girls?  My painter is asking should he just use water or can he use a Chlorox mix of 1 part chlorine to 3 parts water?  Any other do's or don'ts?
Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Pressure washing around bees?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »
>My painter is asking should he just use water or can he use a Chlorox mix of 1 part chlorine to 3 parts water?

That's pretty high.  Higher than you would use to wash clothes by a long shot... Bees seem fond of swimming pool water and it does no apparent harm (although it may mess with the microbes in the hives).  I would guess if you don't exceed the concentration typically used in a pool it shouldn't hurt the bees any.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
At that concentration, I wouldn't stand in the yard myself. At one cup to 5 gal. water, I would think it safe.

If only a few hives were involved, I would think about leaning 2 sheets of plywood over each hive to make a tent like covering over them. Once the spray has fallen, there should be no problem. I would also mow any blooming clover , etc. and cover any blooming flowers or shrubs until the spray had settled.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:37:18 pm »
I would cover the hives with a tarp or plywood.  I wouldn't worry too much about mowing, it's really up to you. Once he's done, take a hose and spray the area for a few minutes to dilute it more. The chlorine will be completely gone the next day.

anything