Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Entrance  (Read 8703 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Top Entrance
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »
Finski, this is America.  Anything is possible  :)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 04:46:34 pm »
Yes Finski this is America.   Any thing is possible.    Like any flippin moron can post 3478 times in just 2 short years.   Back to giving bee advise again I see Blueboy.   I thought your 3 colonies died this winter blueboy.    

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 05:17:28 pm »
Finski, this is America.  Anything is possible  :)

Thing thing...
Me America, me no entrance

( I thought that this was international forum. Not inbreeded red neck forum)

Language barrier NOT included

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »
Yes Finski this is America.   Any thing is possible.    Like any flippin moron can post 3478 times in just 2 short years.   Back to giving bee advise again I see Blueboy.   I thought your 3 colonies died this winter blueboy.    

I don't know bluebee but........ I have noticed a rash of well read newbess answering alot of post lately. Heck I am still a newbee myself less than a decade :-D

John 3:16

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
Heck I am still a newbee myself less than a decade :-D

I am Olf Fart but I surely identyfy who does not know about beekeeping. It is not difficult see when I read some nonsense.

Here is an alternative to those who want open feeding. You may eate it in Christmas. You get sausage for whole family.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »

I am Olf Fart but I surely identyfy who does not know about beekeeping. It is not difficult see when I read some nonsense.

Here is an alternative to those who want open feeding. You may eate it in Christmas. You get sausage for whole family.

:lau: I bet you are a hoot at a party.
John 3:16

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 08:23:30 am »
I went out at 5:30 this morning to give blocking up the bottom entrance another try. It was around 70 degrees and the hive was as busy as it is during the day. Tons of pollen coming in. One bee that scurried in was almost solid blue. Her back looked like a bruise.
 It took several minutes to squeeze the entrance reducer back onto both hives without crushing bees. Since I figured it was going to be a quick project, I didn't bring the smoker or hive tool. I did throw on my jacket and veil. I plugged up the entrance of the first hive with a rock and suddenly there was a mini swarm. Amazing how many bees are coming and going every minute.
 I look at the second hive and decided to move down the box with the holes drilled in it. Luckily keys served as a hive tool to pry open the hive. All the bees were extremely calm as I moved their boxes around. I those put back together and blocked off the bottom entrance and stood back to watch.
 It took around 8 minutes for some of the bees from the second hive to start entering through the upper entrance. So...right now my set up is...
 Medium on the bottom, deep on top of that (brood box), medium on the brood box that has the holes drilled in, and mediums on top of those. My hope is that the bottom medium will become a brood box and the medium with the entrance will become one as well. Next year the deep will be gone and replaced with a medium.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:46 am »
I went out at 5:30 this morning to give blocking up the bottom entrance another try. It was around 70 degrees and the hive was as busy as it is during the day. Tons of pollen coming in. One bee that scurried in was almost solid blue. Her back looked like a bruise.

You disturb their foraging badly with your experiments. Bees are not earned that.

Let them fly. Main thing is that they fly. They need good airflow too to dry up the nectar.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 08:44:12 am »

Let them fly. Main thing is that they fly. They need good airflow too to dry up the nectar.
They have ventilation. I'm using a screened bottom board.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 09:07:57 am »

I have 3 of these also.  A bit to big to hold now though.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:49 pm »
I checked on the bees today. They're been working out. One hive pushed the rock out enough for bees to squeeze through. The other hive pushed the entrance reducer out enough to be able to climb over it.
 The air was thick with bees coming and going. The bright side is, there is activity at the upper entrances of both hives.
 I decided to leave it as it is for now. I'm planning a full inspection Saturday, I'll tack in a rod that they won't be able to push out and give them a tiny entrance there.

anything