Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar to Langstroth Hive  (Read 1196 times)

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
Top Bar to Langstroth Hive
« on: November 22, 2009, 04:25:18 am »
Currently I have a top bar hive but was thinking switching my bees to langstroth hive.  What would be the best time of the year to switch them.  I have 12 frame in the TBH. Is it possible to cut combs and move them to the regular frames or do bees have to start all over again?
My other question is when I'll switch them to the langstroth, can I split the colony.  If not, when would be a good time to do so?
Thanks Art

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Top Bar to Langstroth Hive
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:50 am »
Cutting the combs off of the topbars and using rubber bands or twine to tie them into lang frames without foundation would probably be the easiest way.  At this point I would say the safest bet is to wait until spring.  I wouldn't do a split at the same time as you are likely going to set them back a bit with transfer.  Wait until they have bounced back and have built up to good numbers before attempting to split them.

Out of curiosity what prompted your decision to switch?

Adam
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Top Bar to Langstroth Hive
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:16 am »
Spring after the first nectar starts to flow is always the best time for such things as the bees in in the "building" phase.  A simple cutout is quite easy to do on a top bar hive.  Cut them to fit in frames an rubber band them in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin