Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OUCH!!!  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
Re: OUCH!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 01:52:13 am »
If I stand that close to one of mine they can be testy.  Especially with the flow not starting up so slow. I also never know what may have just stirred them up, or if lightning is coming or anything else. They are gentle, but can't always take it for granted.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 07:14:53 pm »
Any thoughts or ideas on what else I should be looking for, or am I overreacting?

swelling  :evil:

hehehehehe
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »
Any thoughts or ideas on what else I should be looking for, or am I overreacting?

swelling  :evil:

hehehehehe
Still didn't swell.

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
Just went out to check on the hives. I was standing about 15 feet away, not moving and off to the side, when one of the girls from the west hive decided that she didn't want me there. She flew up and nailed me 1/2  an inch under my right eye.

As a noob I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say that after installing two packages on 4/15, this happened to me last week, but it was under my left eye; just standing there, looking at the hives, and WHAM. Add to that a sting on the lower, right butt cheek (don't ask) and a sting at my throat, I'm off to a good start in beekeeping.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:28 pm »
good pics.  glad that worked out for you.

you may be one of those lucky people who can take all the stings and never show it.  that'll be a big plus!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 09:21:00 pm »
good pics.  glad that worked out for you.

you may be one of those lucky people who can take all the stings and never show it.  that'll be a big plus!!

Like I said, it's been over 35 years since I've last been stung by a honey bee. When I was a kid, a neighbor's dogs got loose. I was trying to round them up and was between the dogs and the side of a brick building. Turned out to be a hole in the bricks and a beehive inside. Suddenly I had several bees buzzing me and I couldn't run or the dogs might of attacked (they were dobermans). I started walking away while trying to swat bees and got stung in my left eyebrow. My entire eye swelled up. Because I remember that, I was surprised that half my face didn't swell from this sting.

That hive ended up being plugged up because other kids in the neighborhood (being the brave souls they were) kept throwing rocks at it.