Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very small scale queen rearing ( 7 cells ) - Need feedback  (Read 4841 times)

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
Very small scale queen rearing ( 7 cells ) - Need feedback
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:00:12 pm »
Hello,
Today i made my first graft as a part of a really small scale queen rearing of a few cells in order to replace some old queens.
I need some feedback:
1. What is the time required after removing the queen to place the queen cells.
2. What is the time required to see bees making their own queen cells. I did not see a try to make them after 24 hours although there was larvae of all ages.
3. Is it required to place inside the hive for 1 day the wax made empty cells in order to be prepared ?
4. After a few minutes of placing the queen cells frame, a few cells attracted many bees and other not. Is this a sign of which cells will be accepted or they just "preparing" the wax.

Thanks.

Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: Very small scale queen rearing ( 7 cells ) - Need feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:10 pm »
When you make your grafts use 1-3 day old larva.
I use a wax cell to graft into.
I prepare the cell bar by placing it in a hive so they can polish it up or season it.
Graft 1-3 day old larva.
A timing box will help you in getting larva the right age.
Place a damp towel over the cell bar and foundation to keep the larva from drying out.
Place the cell bar in a queenless box.
After 24 hours check the cells, they should have wax being built out 1/8 inch or so.
Make the Hive Queen Rite and use it as a cell finisher.
around day 8 the cells should be capped off.
You can place Queen Cages over the cells and let them emerge in the cage or you can take the cage with the queen cell and place it in a queenless hive or nuc box.
4. After a few minutes of placing the queen cells frame, a few cells attracted many bees and other not. Is this a sign of which cells will be accepted or they just "preparing" the wax.
The bees are attracted to the cells with royal jelly, they will check out each cell. Sometimes they will draw out a cell and then reject it if it is not healthy.
I figure 50% take and I've done fairly good.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:43:16 pm »
You gave them a choice...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »
a snip followed > my response...

1. What is the time required after removing the queen to place the queen cells.  > may I assume you are asking about how long the cell starters should remain queenless before introducing the cell?  if yes then generally I remove the queen one afternoon and place in grafted cells the next morning.
2. What is the time required to see bees making their own queen cells. I did not see a try to make them after 24 hours although there was larvae of all ages. > even the untrained eye should be able to see results clearly two days after the cells have been placed in the 'queen cell starter box'.
3. Is it required to place inside the hive for 1 day the wax made empty cells in order to be prepared ? > I am assuming here you are talking about 'polishing' the bee wax cups... the time required here varies based primarily on population and some small amount of feeding also assist this in getting done a bit quicker.  much like the name implies the bee wax cell cups should look smooth and polished on their inside surface.  failure to have bees wax cups polished will almost always results in no cells being started.  plastic type queen cell cups should not require polishing.
4. After a few minutes of placing the queen cells frame, a few cells attracted many bees and other not. Is this a sign of which cells will be accepted or they just "preparing" the wax. > I am guessing 'likely NO'.... I would suspect they are attracted to the smell of the natural bees wax.

somewhat contrary to what was previously suggested you need to develop an eye and graft the youngest larvae possible (Steve Tabor who was a good authority on such stuff wrote that you need to graft larvae that you cannot see) < the general rule I suggest is to slice the bottom of a worker cell into 6 parts and the larvae you graft should fit into one of those six triangles.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.