Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when to move a hive.  (Read 3695 times)

Offline jelder

• New Bee
when to move a hive.
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:03 am »
i have a situation, the people who have my hive on their property are selling up and moving, i have someone else who will take my hive.  the question is when do i move it, i understand that moving them late in the day is best, but is it a good time to move my hive now or should i wait a few months for the weather to get warmer :?
whut!

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Re: when to move a hive.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:35 am »
Yeah, move them late in the evening when all the bees are inside the hive.

I'd move them straight away. How far is the new site from the original site? You need to move them more than 5 km or some of the bees will return to where they were originally.

Offline jelder

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:31:32 am »
the new site is a fair distance (over 50 km so it should not be a problem.
whut!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:58 am »
If it's pretty cold down there near the south pole and the girls aren't flying much you could even move them during the day if you are prepared to lose a few, but evening/nighttime is usual. And yes you can move them at this time of year, particularly if there is likely to be a bit of forage at their new destination.

Offline Wonga

• House Bee
  • The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:23 am »
I want to move my hives within my yard, about 30 metres, as the bee flies - what do you reckon - one move? Two moves? Or 10?

Any advice?

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03:55 am »
The saying goes 'You can move them less than three feet or more than three miles.'

I've stretched it to about 2 metres at a time without too much problem, just takes the bees a little while to find their home.

Keep a close eye on them if you want to move them further than that at a time. You could try short shifts to start with and if they adapt to that okay, try longer shifts.

I'd suggest moving them in about 15 moves. Otherwise move them more than 5 km away for a while and then move them back to the new location.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:30 am »
I think it is Michael that has some good information on his webpage about moving hives.

I believe that you can moved a hive a short distance and if you obstruct the entrance of the hive , when the bees leave they are forced to relearn? their location.

Shane

I want to move my hives within my yard, about 30 metres, as the bee flies - what do you reckon - one move? Two moves? Or 10?

Any advice?
Shane

Offline Wonga

• House Bee
  • The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:02 am »
  OK, thanks

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:50:18 am »
throw a leafy branch across the front of the hive after you move it, a few theories behind it, but it helps.