Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH candy frames  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
TBH candy frames
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:26 am »
Here is what a little bit of success can do when you get carried away with it!

Recipe is the same as always (check out Robo's page).  Just used tinfoil to line the bottom and rolled it up over scrap wood used to frame the 'form'.  To keep everything in place, I just put weight (bricks) on the scrap wood.

When it hardened, I just knocked the scrap wood off.  The smaller one did leak a bit when I poured it.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: TBH candy frames
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:31:35 pm »
I'd have built a frame and left the frame on to support it so it doesn't fall when they have weakened it by eating it and when the humidity has softened it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:19:10 pm »
I'd have built a frame and left the frame on to support it so it doesn't fall when they have weakened it by eating it
I'm with Michael,  and I would have added wire too...
I find for some reason they eat by the wood first, maybe the edges are easier for them to chew or the wood draws moisture???  But I find I have to run wires even in wooden frames to keep the block from falling out.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:23:04 pm »
    Would 1/4" - 1/2" screen work better?  Or would it be more of a nusance?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:09 pm »
I think 1/2" screen would work well.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:21 pm »
I think 1/2" would be good also.  Although I don't embed it in the candy,  I use 1/2" on my candy boards and it works great at keeping the chunks from falling through the hive. It doesn't seem to hinder the bees any,  and the only drawback I have had is when I left them on too long in the spring and they built wax in them,  then it was a pain to clean out.   

Although adding marginally more cost,  I think the 1/2" cloth would work better than wiring.   I'll have to give it a try if I make more frames.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:38 pm »
I saw a picture of an old comb that supposedly had been in the hive for something like 50 years once.  It had what looked like 1" hardware cloth for wiring...
-------------------

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 01:28:06 am »
>>  I saw a picture of an old comb that supposedly had been in the hive for something like 50 years once.  It had what looked like 1" hardware cloth for wiring...<<

Wonder which was supporting which :?

Using screen is something I'm going to have to look into.  Even though I don't normally feed, if I messed up and miss calculated in the fall I would like to be prepared to keep them alive until a bloom begins.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything