Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pretty bee  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
Pretty bee
« on: June 22, 2007, 07:38:49 pm »
I don't know what kind of bee this is, but I know it's on a sunflower.

Shot with COOLPIX L3. at 1969-12-31

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Pretty bee
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »
Beemistress.  Oh, what a beautiful shot of this little girl.  I love it.  I don't know that species of bee it is, maybe someone will.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 02:32:01 pm »
i'm 90% SURE I found her.
http://www2.pms-lj.si/andrej/dashir.htm

a hairy one :-D

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:02:45 pm »
What a Beautiful shot
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:40:33 am »
Good job Mici!  The one you found is very close!  I compared the pictures on the site you linked to another shot of "my" bee (below) and was able to see some differences though.  If you count the stripes on the abdomen, yours has just 4, mine 5.  Also the stripes seem to be of different colors, yours being clearly black and white, mine brown and yellow and shading into each other.

Still, they are more similar than different and I had so very many sunflowers in my garden last year it makes sense that some of these bees that specialize in this kind of flower would be around the area.  I will plant more now that I know these beauties will visit just for them.

Shot with COOLPIX L3. at 1969-12-31

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 01:37:42 pm »
Mici, nice job of research!!!  Yeah!!!

Beemistress.  Those are some astounding pictures, so gorgeous, can't say it often enough.  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi

I took a picture of some kind of wild bee a couple of days ago, but I don't think it would show up on the forum very well, but I am going to have a good look at it and see the quality.

Nope, not good enough to see well, too bad eh?
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service