Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Heavy Problems in Package Bees Received.  (Read 2491 times)

Offline CWS

• Brood
Heavy Problems in Package Bees Received.
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »
I have a bit of a problem,

I recd. a set of Italian package bees on Friday from an Apiary in Alabama, but I am having some big problems with them...

the first problem, is that I noticed a hive beetle in the package, and the floor of the package is heavily covered with Varroa Mites...

After receiving no reply from the Seller, I went ahead and hived them, but I took them to a remote location away from my other bees. 

My question and concern is, will they live?  They're so poor looking i'm worried if i should destroy them or try to do something for them?

Any Advise is appreciated!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Heavy Problems in Package Bees Received.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:15:45 pm »
First of all, I would contact the state bee inspector from your state and the sellers state (if different).  Your local inspector would be best at evaluation your situation first hand.  The seller's state may need to investigate the seller's operation if indeed they are as bad as you claim.(Not that I have any reason to doubt your claim)

Did you burn the screened cages, to hopefully kill any SHB hiding in the seams?  You have realized the exact reason I have not bought packaged bees in many years as I have SHB free bee yards.  It only takes one package with SHB hiding in the seams to infect your yard forever.

Since the bees currently do not have brood,  it would be a good time to treat them for the varroa.

Best of luck and keep up informed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:41:48 pm »
in this case, since he bees are already stressed, i'd use the powdered sugar as a start on the mites.  i think that is your immediate problem, although you'll get answers from those more experienced.  i'd also feed the daylights out of them and try to get them built up as quickly as possible.  how's the queen look? 

after the hive is stronger and you have used the powdered sugar treatment on them a few times, i'd consider treating with something like apiguard toward the end of the summer, or into the fall.  depends on your weather.  where are you located?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:16:11 pm »
Robo said it. Contact the state inspector in the State they came from.
And yes, follow KathyP's advice.
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:51:38 am »
I think that is deplorable that someone would sell package bees with so many health issues.  Definitely contact the State Inspector, this guy should be shut down.  That is the worst way to spread disease around the country and this is the kind of stuff that should no be tolerated.  It makes me feel downright angry about people like that.  Out to grab money from pooor souls.  Have a great and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service