Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: comb  (Read 1738 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
comb
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:47:37 pm »
My bees are building comb in between two of the frames is this ok and what should I do?
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: comb
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »
My bees are building comb in between two of the frames is this ok and what should I do?
It is definitely not ok.  Cut out the burr comb and push the frames close together.  Extra space between frames encourages extra comb.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:08:54 am »
As Frameshift says, get to fixing that problem now before it becomes a major mess.  My bees will do that sometimes on plastic foundation that isn’t waxed very well.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:52:18 am »
Always remove bad comb and remove it early.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:35:26 pm »
A bucket comes in handy for all your burr comb. I always have one with me when working them.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »
I am puzzled as to why some bees build perfect comb and others with equipment from the same batch will build crazy comb. I find that just scraping it off usually does not work. I swap frames with one from another hive.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything