Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange Observation  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Strange Observation
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:19 pm »
Late this afternoon I spent some time refilling the boardman feeders on my hives. It had been cool and very windy most of the day; and by 5:00PM the temperature was just about 50 with a very strong wind from the south west. When I finished refilling the feeders, I double checked my hives before heading for home.

On top of one of the hives, I found 5 worker bees positioned head to head in a very tight star shaped pattern. Each of the heads were touching and the star shaped pattern was very uniform. Their bodies were straight and not curdled up as they are when they die. The bees were alive but very sluggish. I'm suspecting that the strong wind and cool/cold air had taken away all of their energy. It was cloudy, so there was no warmth coming from the sun. These we the only bees I found outside of the hives.

It was odd that they chose to face each other in the manner. I don't expect it really means anything.

Has anyone seen something like this before ? :? :? :?

Regards,
Tucker

p.s.  I placed them into the hive, assuming this was their home.
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Strange Observation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:51 am »
They often take that formation when feeding each other.  One bee is feeding all the rest so one bee takes a bite and passes it one around the circle.  They also use a similar formation when capping cured honey or brood when a large area has to be capped.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!