Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cleat ?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
cleat ?
« on: May 29, 2006, 02:22:33 am »
I am using a blockof old hard wood for an entrance cleat. My box is facing west as this is the best accomadations forthem I can provide.I am leaving the south side of the entance open. This is where the brood is and seems easier for the bees to getinand out.It has been rainy and in the fifties and 60's here for about a week and I was wondering if is ought to putthe opening on the north side away from the brood. There is new bees I am quite sure as I have had the hive over three weeks;. I haven'tchecked yet because of the weather. My opening is about 2and 1/2 inches.
  Thanks

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
cleat ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:42:12 am »
You may turn hive during few days in new postion.  But it is same from where bees come in.

But if hive is snall and you change the opening, warm economy of brood area will change. If you look into hive, situation of brood is certain when you compare with cold corners and open air.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
cleat ?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 10:24:14 am »
They have already arranged the brood area for the current conditions.  In a strong hive you could change it anyway you like and it would probably make little to no difference.  In a weak hive you'll just be stressing them more changing things.  They have put the brood where they think they can keep it warm and you're changing the air flow, the side the sun warms &tc.

If you want to face a hive a new direction, I'd rotate it no more than 45 degrees per day.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin