Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees die in the pool-HELP  (Read 9819 times)

Offline melnik

• New Bee
Bees die in the pool-HELP
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:10:45 am »
Hi, i just opened up my pool and today i noticed about 40 bees in it. The hive is about 10 feet from the pool. What should i do? Why do they land in the pool?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Bees die in the pool-HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:30:43 am »
they are looking for a water source. try putting out a bird bath with gravels and/or sticks in it so they don't drown.

just a thought

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:40:39 am »
When the pool is open there should always be lifeguard bees on duty  :roll:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:45:07 am »
they are looking for a water source. try putting out a bird bath with gravels and/or sticks in it so they don't drown

and throw a little lemongrass oil or some sugar in the new water source.  now that they have found the pool, they won't want to switch.  try keeping it covered until they find the new water source.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:07:28 am »
Bees love pools! They seem to be attracted to water sources that have have a strong scent. With the pool only 10 feet away, it may not be easy getting them to go elsewhere. Some beeks-with-pools have reported success using entrance feeders filled with water.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:05:38 am »
the best advise I could give would be to move the hive a few miles away. a hive 10 foot from a swimming pool is never a good idea. its just asking for trouble not only for bees drowning but stings and bee poo it would be hard to keep out of the flight path of the bees.
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Dubhe

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:00 am »
Or you could just go with it.  We anchor a mesh covered float on one corner of the pool just for the bees and my kids are enjoying watching them as they swim.  It also filters out many of the neighbor's children from inviting themselves over for a swim.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:05 pm »
Hard to break them from visits to the pool. They love the chlorine and some have the new salt systems which they also love!
John 3:16

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 01:52:58 pm »
Interesting..."they love chlorine"...I have noticed this phenomena around my spa...a few of my bees seem attracted to the hold down straps for the cover and almost treat them like a flower, working them with their tongues...good thing is it only a few of them...haha.
-Mike

Offline GJP

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:24:40 pm »
My bees like the pool too!  Last year they really hit it hard in August after their primary water source across the road dried up.  I put out three bird feeders with rocks or sticks and added a little honey.  It worked pretty well but still had some visiting the ladder in the pool.  This year they have decided they like a spot on the filter tht has a small leak.  I'll see 50+ there at any given time.  I do have a salt system which I'm told creates a "brakish" taste/smell to the water which the bees really go for.  So far no problem with the ladder this year.  I like the idea of a screen in one corner that helps the girls and keeps the neighbors away! 

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »
I have trouble with the bees drowning in my BLUE water buckets for the horses! Only the blue buckets are being visited by the bees.

Try using something blue in color to attract them to another water source.

Brenda

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 06:15:31 pm »
It also filters out many of the neighbor's children from inviting themselves over for a swim.
+1

:-D

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 02:33:48 am »
Well who does not like a cool dip on a hot day? Just kidding I have a pool my bees go no were near it even though its about 30 feet a way. I have a creek in my back yard and I have the wynoochee river to my west about a quarter mile a way. So I asume they are getting water from some were? I just keep a old peace of foam floating in my pool just incase my bees want to drink. I find more bumble bees in my pool then my honey bees.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

anything