Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive location questions  (Read 2781 times)

Offline chickade

• New Bee
Hive location questions
« on: March 17, 2009, 12:12:05 pm »
I'm completely new at this and relatively unprepared.  I had to rush because of needing to order bees in the spring.  I live in Swarthmore- a small wealthy town, and have annoyed my neighbors on numerous occasions- not mowing my yard, dogs barking, compost problems. I am pretty sure bees would really annoy them- though it is legal in the town.

Also I don't have a surfeit of sunny areas, there are big trees surrounding my backyard, and I need the space for a vegetable garden.  I would have to put the hive in the very middle of my yard, in a very obvious place.

So I'm thinking of putting them on my roof- I have a flat area above what used to be a second story porch- access would be through a window or a ladder outside.  I know there are problems with rooftop placement.  What are your recommendations for preparing the hive for weather, etc.  I live in SE Pennsylvania- near Philadelphia.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Hive location questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:49:40 pm »
And your neighbors won't be able to see them on your roof?

If you do place them on your roof face them so they get early morning sun. Place a shade barrier to prevent noon and afternoon sun full exposure. You roof will reflect lots of heat right back into your hive and turn them into ovens. So you will want to shade against the strongest solar levels. Also a shade can help hide your hives. From pesky neighbors.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:14:02 pm »
someone else on here kept bees on the roof.  the posts were quite a while back, but try a search.  i don't see a problem, but be sure your roof can take the weight of full hives and you!  take understudys advice on heat protection.  research rooftop beekeeping.  i know they do it in places like NY.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:05:58 pm »
My first concern would be railings... :shock:  It is cumbersome enough wearing a bee suit...now add in the safety belt and rope. :roll:

:-D
Rick

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:43:21 pm »
While it is ideal for hives to get morning sun, it is not required. If they are shaded, it just means that they may not be as active until later in the day and will have to work a little bit harder keeping the hive warm.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline chickade

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:50:28 pm »
Thanks for your comments- I'm afraid I have no idea how to set up a shade for a hive-  what would you use for that?   thanks

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:11:27 pm »
Thanks for your comments- I'm afraid I have no idea how to set up a shade for a hive-  what would you use for that?   thanks

Almost anything from plywood to an umbrella. Heck even some potted shrubs would work.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything