Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 12 degrees here  (Read 3495 times)

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
12 degrees here
« on: December 08, 2006, 08:26:21 am »
 COLD  here in Mt. Washington Ky  12 degrees at 7 AM wondering how bees are doing in this kind of temp. I have installed a wind break and when sun hits hives bees are active, but being a new beekeeper just wondering about cold????? Thanks.   Pembroke

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: 12 degrees here
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:30:55 am »
66F/18.8C this morning. darn cold. The high today is suppose to be 68F/20C. My bees are not going to be happy about this they may have to throw more propolis over the entrance just to frustrate me as I take honey from the hive. it is tough living in Florida.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:37:35 am »
70f here at 12.35am, gunna be 105 later on. Half the state is ablaze with bushfires, the sky has been nothing but smoke the last few days. Many small towns are under direct threat from the fires. The forecast wind change will be nasty. We live with bushfires constantly in this dry continent, however you never get used to them. We have called on the US for assistance, as you have called on us in the past.

I woldnt mind a touch of 12f !

heres the latest fire map, the largest fire has burnt out about 182,000 acres of forest.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfoe.nsf/LinkView/90FCAC74BB9A4F2ECA257090001E6F22E2ACC26BB87D6BFC4A2567CB000DB12D

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:55:02 am »
/threadjack (apologies)

Mick,

I am heading to Taz (Hobart) in October for 11 days. Any suggestions on what to wear (weather wise), what to see and where to stay?

/end threadjack

Okay off to work. My bees are still bringing in pollen.Must not be to cold here.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:12:11 am »
I will send you a detailed PM in the morning!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:16:53 am »
It is 3 C, 37 F here this morning.  Pretty cold, but not freezing, the snow is melting, but still have about 4 inches I would say.  I looked out at the bees yesterday, we had a little sun come through, but there was no activity.  I always worry if they are alive or not.  I did see quite a few out on the snow, dead, but I know that is the summer bees that decided to head out and not die in the hive.  I cleared off the bottomboard (ya, I still have the solid bottomboard) of the dead bees and took off the reducers and removed any dead ones that didn't make it out of the front of the hive and were stuck behind the reducer.  Always a sad sight to see the little girls with not a speck of life.  The bottomboards were quite damp, but that will dry I am sure, there is a notch in the inner cover so I know that they have good ventilation.

Mick, that is awful about the amount of forest fires that are still going on. I looked at the map and it is a sorry thing for sure.  Where does it stop with the fires eh?  Sad.

We live in a climate that I will give an example of.  In the summer we generally have very beautiful and hot weather, well, I call it hot.  It averages about 23-27 C (73-80 F)  during the day, not generally getting too much hotter, but when the sun goes down, the temperature reduces drastically, probably by at least 6 degrees or so.  It is particularly cooler where we live outside the city, compared to say right in the little city we live 6 km away from.  We live on the border of that ravine with bushes and trees, this keeps the night air nice and cool.  There is not too often in the summer a night where it is too hot to sleep, I am grateful for this.  In the summer nights I keep our bedroom patio doors open and the breeze blows in, keeps our room very cool, we also have skylights in our kitchen that open up, summertime they are open continually, and the skylights draw the cool evening air in throughout the house.  These skylights actually create a wind that you can feel through the patio doors and my kitchen remains reasonably cool.  I keep the window open above the sink in summer and between this window, open doors, open skylight, our house rarely is unbearable hot.

I always plant the matthiola bicornis (evening scented stock) on our bedroom patio.  The tiny little flowers open at dusk and emit an incredibly intoxicating fragrance all night long.  Once you have experienced the fragrance of the night stocks, you will always have these as a night flower in your gardens.  they are wonderful to plant anywhere time is spent outdoors in the evenings.

the bees enjoy the flowers even though they are closed during the day.  I always see them investigating these pretty little mauve flowers.  Now the night flying insects love them too, I imagine they help to make the fragrance drift even harder.  The picture was taken late last summer.  Hope you enjoy this.  Great day. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:40:02 am »
In the summer nights I keep our bedroom patio doors open and the breeze blows in, keeps our room very cool,

I always plant the matthiola bicornis (evening scented stock) on our bedroom patio. 

Sigh..........youre taken it seems.  :'(

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 10:48:59 am »
25 years goin' strong.  My husband loves to build for the bees and me, he is a man who loves to invent and build anything he possibly can.  He has built some pretty cool things to help me out with my endeavours with the girls, and there is more for him to build this year.  I build a little too, but not to the degree that he does, I keep to the simple parts of the bee building stuff.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 05:53:24 pm »
We had a balmy 13 degrees f this morning with a gentle 15 to 20 mph breeze. Quite invigorating! the temp at 4:50 pm is 23 degrees!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 03:40:48 am »

We had in Finland 4 weeks ago  12- - 4 F  and  10 inches snow. 
Now it has been the warmest weather in December ever measured  50F in South Finland.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:22:25 pm »
Today, 9:00 AM, pretty nice temperatures now, 7 celsius, 44 F.

I wish for a balmy temperature of 23 degrees, now that is our springtime temperature, around beginning of May.  Nice.  Finsky, you must still be getting snow for a long time yet eh?  Great day.  Cindi

anything