Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: buying bees  (Read 6462 times)

Offline nature_girl

• New Bee
buying bees
« on: March 03, 2006, 04:33:46 pm »
Hello. This is my first post so forgive the mistakes. I am having troubles finding bee nuc's. I live in wasington Pa. 15301.
I dont mind driving 4 hours to get them.
I would really prefer Italians.
Thank-you for any help.

Also thanks for this web-site. It has been a great store of information for me.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
buying bees
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 05:14:30 pm »
Nature Girl :)

Welcome to the forums, I hope someone has suggestions for you.  I seriously congratulate you on your stead-fastness to drive up to 4 board though, that is very impressive. Hopefully, that won't be necessary.

Again, good luck in your search, I'm optimistic that someone here will be able to point you in the right direction. Glad to have you aboard the forum and please post any time!!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline nature_girl

• New Bee
thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 06:01:44 pm »
Thanks.. I have been reading the forum regularly since I joined. This was the first time I had a question, that I could not find posted elsewhere on the site. That is why I love it here. So many loving inteligent people.
That is why I am hopefull that somebody can help me.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
buying bees
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 06:19:07 pm »
theres a place called buckeye bees in ohio. i googled. ohio is right next to pennsyltucky.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SignQueen

• New Bee
    • http://onthelevelcontracting.com
That would be me
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:25:42 am »
Last year was my first year and I had endless problems with Buckeye Bee. I will say in the end he (Ken) gave me another nuc (what I should have gotten in the first place). I drove 1 1/2 hrs to pick them up in a borrowed (made for travel) hive. It was JUNE 28th that I got them (at his convenience).

He only answered my e-mails and calls AFTER I sent him an e-mail and left him a message that the Southwestern Ohio Beekeepers Assn. was considering banning him from the Bee school. (they did) It seems he has a long history of getting to the new beekeepers last for whatever reason.

I have to say though that hive is going strong and made a little more honey than the Draper SMR queen. BUT I WOULD NOT ORDER FROM HIM OR RECCOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE. Lot of stress that could have been avoided. Draper bee was very quick although expensive.

This year I am getting packages with the association.
www.swoba.org
SouthWestern Ohio Beekeepers Association

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: That would be me
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 04:11:28 am »
Quote from: SignQueen
Last year was my first year and I had endless problems with Buckeye Bee. .

What were the worst problems?

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 08:24:59 am »
Quote from: Finsky
Last year was my first year and I had endless problems with Buckeye Bee. .

What were the worst problems?

Finsky, the problem is not with the bees.

The problem is with the person who SELLS the bees.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 08:36:10 am »
Quote from: Jack Parr
[.

The problem is with the person who SELLS the bees.

Are you sure that first year beekeepers can identify correctly promblems? The price of nucs are so low that on line help desk is not included in deal.

When  I start my nucs I have allways some kind of difficulties. New queens have often difficulties. Some nucs are splended. There is great natural variation. I cast off half of my queens for chalk brood problems.

But when I bye new queens some of them are so small that surely seller have sold "what ever which resembles queen".

I suppose that often beginner gives too much space for new nuc. How often they limit the space with separation wall?

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
buying bees
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 08:43:44 am »
There's a guy in PA selling nucs.  You can find him on www.beesource.com forums under the  name bjornbee

Offline nature_girl

• New Bee
many thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 10:09:48 am »
Many thanks to everybody. I had tried Buckey Bees, but they are not answering their phone. Now I am glad I didnt get a hold of them. I am going to try the links you guys posted, today.
I didnt relize what a pain buying bees was. The hives I have now, are from nests made in my friends house.
Again many thanks.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
buying bees
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 10:45:54 am »
I have friends about 2 hours north of you who used to keep a few hives, and they dealt with this outfit:

Montgomery Apiaries
113 Parker Ave
Franklin, PA 16323
814/432-4068
Ms. Robin Montgomery

They winter their hives in Florida, and I believe my friends bought nucs from them.  They would probably know someone closer to the Pittsburgh area, too.

-- Kris

Offline SignQueen

• New Bee
    • http://onthelevelcontracting.com
buying bees
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 11:08:51 am »
Finsky asked... What were the worst problems?

:arrow: I didn't get the bees on April 20th AND MOST OF ALL, he did not return my calls or e-mails. I got them May 28th QUEENLESS.

Then he commented...Are you sure that first year beekeepers can identify correctly problems? The price of nucs are so low that on line help desk is not included in deal

:arrow: I totally agree, thats why the president of our association, the state inspector and the local beemaster all came by and checked for me.

:arrow: I paid $130 for a delivered nuc. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS. I still have the receipt.  I now know that should buy at least two premium nucs.

Then Nature_girl wrote...Many thanks to everybody. I had tried Buckeye Bees, but they are not answering their phone.

:arrow: Well, there ya go BINGO, he doesn't answer his phone.
And just to let you know the association has had many complaints over the last few years of the same thing happening to other beekeepers.
www.swoba.org
SouthWestern Ohio Beekeepers Association

Offline nature_girl

• New Bee
great!!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 11:40:19 am »
Thanks robo. I was able to place an order w/ the guy you suggested today. He seems like a very nice person.

Thank you.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
buying bees
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 12:18:32 pm »

:arrow: Well, there ya go BINGO, he doesn't answer his phone.
And just to let you know the association has had many complaints over the last few years of the same thing happening to other beekeepers.

That is enough. That is not modern and satifying business.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
buying bees
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 01:00:32 pm »
I am currently conducting an experiment with Buckeye.  I have a package on order with them.  Sort of the last chance so to speak.

I emailed him at beginning of January and he didn't have a set price yet. I emailed him back and asked him how much I should write the check for including shipping.  He replied, I sent my check and he cashed my check.  I will let you all know when or if I get the bees.

The only reason I ordered from him was to see if he could provide me with a small cell package.  I have other bees on order from better suppliers.  The bottom line is that I'm not holding my breath for these bees.  I will be really surprised if they arrive at all, and even more surprised if they are actually small cell and in decent shape.

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
buying bees
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 03:27:27 pm »
I purchased two packages from Buckeye Bees, about 3 years ago.  They were carniolians, and they were also loaded with mites.  I ordered them early, and they were delivered as promised.  With the exception of the mites, they did fine.  In fact I still have a 6th or 7th generation queen that originated from that package.
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
buying bees
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 04:49:02 pm »
Quote from: Dale
I purchased  about 3 years ago. ...   In fact I still have a 6th or 7th generation queen that originated from that package.

How is it possible? Requeening twice per year?

anything