Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Running 8 frame mediums  (Read 1100 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Running 8 frame mediums
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:59:41 pm »
I picked up some 8 frame mediums today for some new beekeepers. I was asked about installing a package in 8 frame mediums, as in number of 8 frame medium boxes to start the package in. I haven't a clue.

One package is a 3lb and the other is a 4lb. Should they start both in a single medium and add the second medium after about 5 frames are draw?  I think a single super is fine for the 3lb package, is one super enough for the 4lb package?

Should they feed only until they draw out one medium super? That is what I am thinking because we should be a little on the front side of the main flow now ---- with blackberry blooming in the very near future.

Southern beekeepers with 8 frame mediums. What is you configuration going into winter. Two brood and one honey (that is what i am thinking)? Or just two medium boxes, inside frames brood and outside honey?

Ten frame mediums I would go the same as deeps and shallows but not sure of the eight frame configuration.
John 3:16

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Running 8 frame mediums
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:23:03 pm »
One box is more than plenty to install a package in.  Feed until they have some capped honey.  One eight frame mediums = 1/2 ten frame deep.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything