Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new queens ariving soon, cool temps not sure what to do  (Read 6893 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
new queens ariving soon, cool temps not sure what to do
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »
OK!
I received a phone call that a few queens are going to arrive on Tuesday. It is a bit earlier than I expected but I was told never to look a gifted horse in the mouth. I have several hives I could pull some two frame splits off of for these new ladies. My question is, Tuesday or temps are projected to be 57-30 and Wednesday of 54-34. Will two frames bee enough? Should I move these into my shed where it will be a little warmer until Thursday when it gets back up to 61?
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: new queens ariving soon, cool temps not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:11:40 pm »
I'm really sorry I didn't see your post before today. I would have suggested keeping the queens in your house for a couple of days until the temps warm up. Queens do quite well for short periods with a few drops of water and syrup.
If you have something in the future that needs immediate attention post in the general area. I found that you get quicker responses.
Later,
Ray

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:25:26 pm »
Thats what I have done.  I gave them some fondant and sprinkle some water on them twice a day.  There are alot of attendants in the box where all the queens are kept so I hope every one gets taken care of.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:24 am »
One drop of water a day is plenty... a room temperature dark quiet place is best to keep them in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything