Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: any hunters?  (Read 24109 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Re: any hunters?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 08:59:48 pm »
  I don't post on hunting sites very much. I wouldn't walk across the street to get a deer, and don't see the attraction in birds, ducks, geese or turkeys.
  Dad hunted small game and ran raccoon dogs. I hunted small game till I got married and no one else in the family would eat the critters.
  That and after I got after the service sneeking around the woods in camo with guns just wasn't the same.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »
I do a bit of hunting when I can find the time, although now days getting a place to go is the hardest part.
In my state there is no public land that you can hunt on, regardless of training, skills, permits or licences - you can only hunt on private land.
The most frustrating thing though, is that there are farmers culling deer, especially Chital and Fallow deer, and they just shoot them and leave them, yet it's so hard to find a property owner who's willing to let you go hunting on their property  :-x :-x :-x
The government and media have certainly been very effective at demonising all types of hunting, firearms and archery here in Australia.

I do however manage to get out around twice a year and get to stock the freezer with venison, goat and wild pork.
Next trip I'm hoping to make some bacon from some wild pork as per the "River Cottage - Pig in a day" show.

ML

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:06 am »
Sorry to hear there's no public land to hunt. I've been waiting for two weeks for our weather to cool down to go pig hunting. The place I go is infested with mosquitos and pigs but Hurricane Katrina knocked so many trees over, the place is still one giant thicket, even 4 years later.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 08:31:52 am »
Sorry to hear there's no public land to hunt. I've been waiting for two weeks for our weather to cool down to go pig hunting. The place I go is infested with mosquitos and pigs but Hurricane Katrina knocked so many trees over, the place is still one giant thicket, even 4 years later.

...JP
JP I love pig hunting!   Do you need a Lic. and is there a limit?

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 10:37:26 am »

...JP

I'm guessing your talking about pearl river?

I was wondering how it was recovering we used to make a few trips out there but not since Katrina. Me and a buddy took a ride up to Cat Island yesterday to have a look around it looks to be pretty productive, plus I here its infested with pigs. Just driving down the road we saw 3 deer and a lone alligator ( I think he was lost though)

Keith

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 10:27:21 am »
Danno, on state owned and federal land, one needs a license and to abide by each entity's specific rules governing hog hunting, but there are no limits, as they are considered nuisance animals.

On private lands, pigs can be hunted year round, and no permit necessary.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 12:26:59 pm »
We trap feral pigs around here year-round. The State considers them an invasive specie and would love to totally eradicate them. They are sometimes so numerous that it's not unusual to get 6-7 in one trap on a simple over night setting!

It's all given me a great education as I've learned to cure my own hams and bacon and I've been toying around with different dried meats and sausages. Lots of fun and lot and lots of meat!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 09:45:21 am »
And don't forget Scott, that feral pigs live like pigs are supposed to and hence are healthier food for the table. No hormones or antibiotics needed. They are leaner and offer omega-3 fatty acids as opposed to factory farmed, hormone fed, GMO corn or soybean fed and God knows what else, high in omega-6 fatty acids that we have too much of in our western diets as it is.

Its not just what we eat, but what we eat eats, that make us who we are.

I'm hoping to stock my freezer full this season of venison, wild hog, squirrel and rabbit all from the woods.

I don't buy factory farmed meats anymore.

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 05:47:45 pm »
JP, when I lived in LA (just across the river from Morgan City) my roomie and I would walk the levee with 22's and hunt rabbit. We'd sell the green hides ($1 each back then) and stew and freeze the meat if the worms weren't too bad in 'em.

One time we had a really fantastic hunt and bagged 175 of them in about 4 hours (no limit and no season back then). Well, we had the trunk of the old impala filled with rabbit and had to throw about 40 of them in the back seat. Just as we were pulling off the levee we were stopped by the game warden who thought that surely if we put the rabbits in the back seat we must be hiding a dear or two in the trunk.

He had us step out of the car and back away while he opened the trunk. As it turned out a couple of those rabbits were still wiggling around back there and as soon as he lifted the trunk one jumped out and smacked him right in the chest! I never saw a game warden turn so white so quick....I still remember the look in his eyes..lol. Long story short, he came over to the house and had stew with us that night...nice guy after all.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 11:01:11 pm »
Great story Scott, that must have occurred a ridiculously long time ago. As far as I can think back the limit has been 8 per day.

...JP

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »
I hunt with one of these now

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 09:35:18 pm »
I hunt with one of these now

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Awesome! Pictures and stories to follow?

...JP

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 12:05:06 am »
i keep a hunting blog as well as a bee keeping blog http://falconbells.blogspot.com/ She is pretty cool caught,a Squirrel, snake and lizards so far

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »
i keep a hunting blog as well as a bee keeping blog http://falconbells.blogspot.com/ She is pretty cool caught,a Squirrel, snake and lizards so far

Oh no! I keep lizards and snakes. Can't you train her to just catch furry things?  :-D

...JP

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 07:33:17 pm »

it is cool ! what type of permits are required to keep them?

my hunting tools

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »
you need a state license for falconry, there is a test you have to pass as well as normal hunting licenses you have to pass a facilities inspection as well. Its the most restricted form of hunting in the USA.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 03:51:16 pm »
you need a state license for falconry, there is a test you have to pass as well as normal hunting licenses you have to pass a facilities inspection as well. Its the most restricted form of hunting in the USA.
sorry to correct you but the Lic is through the us fish and wildlife service.   It is also their test but is given by the state's game dept. Here in Michigan it is the DNR.  It a good looking bird.  How many grams does it weigh?  I like a redtail in the 45 - 50oz bracket for any squirrel hunting.   This is a pic of Belle.   She weighs in at about 1300 grams

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9608/239c.jpg

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 07:15:32 pm »
she weigh 1100g. Oklahoma regulations have changed as of Jan 1 2010, you only require a state license now. Also with the recent changes the test is aministered by the the wild life department but the questions are decided by the the state in OK. THe OK Falconry associaiton where instramental in deciding those questions for the state of oklahoma.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:24 pm »
she weigh 1100g. Oklahoma regulations have changed as of Jan 1 2010, you only require a state license now. Also with the recent changes the test is aministered by the the wild life department but the questions are decided by the the state in OK. THe OK Falconry associaiton where instramental in deciding those questions for the state of oklahoma.

I suppose raising pigeons or doves like most other falconers for feeding and training purposes. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 12:08:58 am »
yeap, but enjoying having them around as well so added benifit