Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvesting wax filled with drone comb?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
Harvesting wax filled with drone comb?
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »
Every once and a while the girls will draw out an awkward section of comb in the hive.  Its usually filled with drone brood.  I cut it out to keep the combs neat.  My question is, what is the best way to still be able to harvest the wax?  I always save all of my burr comb and extra wax to melt it down.  Should comb with brood in it be treated any differently?  Other than physically removing all the brood, how does one harvest this wax?  Just store and melt down and filter?  Thanks for the advice!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Harvesting wax filled with drone comb?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:10:32 pm »
store, melt down, filter.   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
Re: Harvesting wax filled with drone comb?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:50 am »
I keep an empty hive by my garden, which is more than 100 feet from my hives.  In that hive, I put all of the frames after cutting out honeycomb to crush and strain, as well as all the wax strained out of the honey (this I put in several shallow trays that stack on each other, kind of like a food dehydrator), and all other comb that I take out of the hive.  That way, the bees, wasps, ants, and even the occasional short-tailed shrew clean out all the honey and most of the brood that may be in with the wax and comb.

You do have to be careful not to put the strained wax too deep in the trays, I've found, or you'll have a lot of dead bees that get stuck and die.  And whatever you do, don't put something like that anywhere near an active hive or you'll incite robbing.

After awhile, the sticky frames will be clean, and the wax will be mostly clean, with a few dead bees and wasps to pick out.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.