Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4# packages with two queens.  (Read 1240 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
4# packages with two queens.
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:56:35 pm »
This year I purchased two 4# packages with two queens each.  It was a little interesting trying to split up the package, but managed to get four hives started.  I went with Carniolans, they seem to do better in cold weather, the only down fall I have experienced is swarming due to fast build up in the spring.  Has anyone had good experience with splitting a 4# package in this manner?  Was a good deal cheaper. 

David

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: 4# packages with two queens.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:59:52 pm »
This year I purchased two 4# packages with two queens each.  It was a little interesting trying to split up the package, but managed to get four .  I went with Carniolans, they seem to do better in cold weather, the only down fall I have experienced is swarming due to fast build up in the spring.  Has anyone had good experience with splitting a 4# package in this manner?  Was a good deal cheaper. 

David

Last year I purchased (3) 4# packages with (1) next queen to get (4)hives started work out OK. I have done 5# the 2 queens each

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/