Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Stand Set Up  (Read 4957 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Hive Stand Set Up
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:14:10 am »
I have been waiting for my bees since last August/September. Monday is the big day and I sure hope I can get the bees in the hives. So many things have happened this last week that I am beginning to wonder!

First, I was told about a possible relocation from Virginia to California. I decided to press forward with hiving the bees just in case I don't move. Then, yesterday my son and I got the materials to make the hive stand like nepenthes. I was careful to let my son do all the lifting because my back is not the best. We built the stands and everything seemed to be going great. Once back in the house I was working on making sure the hives and frames were built strong. I turned and bent down to pick up a hive and pow my back went out. Now I've seen TV shows where people say their back went out and are in pain. I have to tell you the pain is horrible. I immediately fell over the hive which was two 10 frame deeps stacked on top of each other. I laid over the top or that hive for over an hour. My son was terrified. (but had the humor to ask if I wanted him to video the incident for ZuniBee.com)  He finally got me flat on the floor and I couldn't move. After another hour he was able to get me up on my knees. Finally I was able to stand in pain that was intense and make it to bed. I have had heat and cold alternating packs on my lower back since. This morning I barely made it out of bed and am on the sofa with heat. Luckily I have the computer hooked up to the big screen tv and can sit here with wireless keyboard and mouse.

If all that wasn't enough, when I woke up this morning it was snowing! My son took some pictures early before he went to work. It has been snowing since....freeze warning for tonight. I told my wife that I don't know how I am going to drive two and a half hours to get the bees and I don't know how I am going to walk to the hives to get them in, BUT I know one thing, I am going to do it pain or not! I just hope I don't have the experience that Alanj had because I surley won't be able to run!  :shock:

Hopefully these pictures will work:

Thanks nepenthes for the great idea!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Hive Stand Set Up
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:48:22 am »
darn, That looks like snow. :shock:

It's April stop that.

That does I am going outside where it is warm.

Nice pics of the hive stands.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 12:08:48 pm »
Zunibee.  Oh brother, wouldn't that just figure about your back.  That is too bad.  Keep care of it, lean on the help of your son more than ever.  He will willingly help his Dad.  I can say no more, other than I really hope things work out well for you.  Your story was pretty incredible.  Take care, have a wonderful day, and good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:37:59 pm »
We had 3" of snow overnight. I have no idea what condition the hive is in. I think waiting to do the first inspection is the worst part of the whole package experience. I have a hive top feeder so I have not be able to peek inside to see if there is brood. 

I am just glad that they had some time to collect pollen and food from the syrup before the cold spell. I was thinking that if you installed a new package and it dropped to freezing overnight and they clustered, they would have no food, right?

Great hive stands btw..

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:48:27 pm »
Glad I was an inspiration! Hope youre back feels better, and I'm getting the snow too, I hope my hives make it. Good luck!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:08:22 pm »
Very cool hive stand man!  I saw that same pic of Nepenthes stand and that also inspired me to go to home depot and get some blocks.  I just need to pick out some lumber to put through them, but I have all kinds of time.  My bees wont be here until the 15th.  Thanks Nepenthes for the awesome idea man!!!

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:10:56 pm »
it's all because of our CO2 emmisions :evil:
LOL, no, but seriusly, some pretty weird weather is happening around the globe this year. just hope it doesn't snow in July!

sorry to hear about your back, my dad had something simmilar, but from your description he was worse. one day he just couldn't get out of the bed, he spent a whole month in bed, more or less, he walked only to toilet and when walking-cripled! i suggest you to find a good kiropractic, if it wasn't for that kiropractic my dads rehabilitation would surelly take at least a year! but, he has to be GOOD, not some voo-doo "master"

hope you get better!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:52:46 pm »
We had 3" of snow overnight. I have no idea what condition the hive is in. I think waiting to do the first inspection is the worst part of the whole package experience. I have a hive top feeder so I have not be able to peek inside to see if there is brood. 

I am just glad that they had some time to collect pollen and food from the syrup before the cold spell. I was thinking that if you installed a new package and it dropped to freezing overnight and they clustered, they would have no food, right?

Great hive stands btw..

That is the problem with hive top feeders, the bees can't get to the syrup when it is cold.  The best solution is a gallon glass pickle jar inverted right on the frame tops.  This way the bees can cluster right under the jar and get syrup regardless of the weather.   In my opinion, hive top feeders are a big waste of money.  But I guess the suppliers keep pushing them because of the profit from them. There is no money in it for them if they tell you to use a free jar. ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:58:47 pm »
I had my back go out on me like that once--just as I was settling down on the throne.  Took to Paramedics to get off.  Talk about being caught with you pants down.  The only time worse was when it happened stepping into the bath tub.  I wnet down with a big splash.  The Ambulance crew was all female, but I was into too much pain to care.

If you've got back problems I hope you've bought medium 8 frame equipment.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 01:04:25 am »

[/quote]

That is the problem with hive top feeders, the bees can't get to the syrup when it is cold.  The best solution is a gallon glass pickle jar inverted right on the frame tops.  This way the bees can cluster right under the jar and get syrup regardless of the weather.   In my opinion, hive top feeders are a big waste of money.  But I guess the suppliers keep pushing them because of the profit from them. There is no money in it for them if they tell you to use a free jar. ;)
[/quote]

I might go ahead and use a pickle jar, since i am expecting my package this coming week and I live in central Ohio.  Doesnt seem like the weather is letting up.
Robo what type of cloth do you use for the lid of the jar, and do you just rubberband the cloth on there? :?

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 01:36:19 am »

I might go ahead and use a pickle jar, since i am expecting my package this coming week and I live in central Ohio.  Doesnt seem like the weather is letting up.
Robo what type of cloth do you use for the lid of the jar, and do you just rubberband the cloth on there? :?

You can just poke a few tiny holes into the metal lid of the jar. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 11:15:10 am »
beekeeperrookie.  Before you poke a bunch of holes, read some information on the forum about the size of the holes and how many.  I think that it is important that the holes are not too big and too many.  I do not use the jars, but may one day.  I think that they are an excellent way to feed the bees, and as Robo said, they can move the cluster right underneath it to sip the syrup.

Check out some posts on feeder jars, do a search for the keyword and you will find information.  Or better yet, go into Michael Bush's site.  I am sure that he has this important little ditty of information (plus lots and lots of other great stuff too).  Have a wonderful day and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 11:17:44 am »
I had my back go out on me like that once--just as I was settling down on the throne.  Took to Paramedics to get off.  Talk about being caught with you pants down.  The only time worse was when it happened stepping into the bath tub.  I wnet down with a big splash.  The Ambulance crew was all female, but I was into too much pain to care.
Brian, now I would certainly say that you have had your set of problems with your back going out on ya, the one on the throne, I am sorry to say, made me really go into a good laughing fit.  My poor husband, when I laugh when I am reading stories on the computer thinks that I am out of my mind.  But when I tell him what I am laughing about, he gets a good start to funny stuff happening in his day too.  Have a wonderful, beautiful and a good health wishes.  Cindi

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 11:55:35 am »

I completely understand how the pain is. I almost called an ambulance but waited it out on the floor. Today it is better, I can at least walk a bit. I am going to make my sugar water today for tomorrows hiving! Not sure how much each hive uses in a week. I am going to make 20lbs of sugar for 4 hives. Any idea how long that will last?

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 12:31:53 pm »
Well my split takes a 1/2 gallon every 33 hours or a little more than 1 day. 5# makes a gallon if I remember right. Since yours are new they will take up as much as you give them for make comb but once thats done they will start to take up a lot less.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:19:12 pm »

You can just use a finishing nail and make a few holes in the lid.  If you plan to keep the jar as a feeder and need to clean mold out of the lid, the little jaggies made by the nail make it a pain.  So I take the few extra minutes and drill 1/16" holes, 4 of them in the lid instead.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »
Zunibee.  When I hived four 2-pound packages late last April, they consumed about 1 gallon per week.  They were hived on foundation and needed lots of food to build comb.  After about 4 weeks time I discontinued the feeding.  They built up very well and after this time did not require feeding.  Best of the day, good luck, good health.  Cindi